Thursday, February 9, 2012

Our Newest Adventure--A Career Change!

I think I have finally lost my mind.

I decided to quit my jobs.

I am going from 60-hours a week of salaried work to...who-knows-how-many-hours of COMMISSIONED work.  With no side job for extra income...for somebody who has never had just ONE job, it's scary.

From a financial perspective, the first few months (at least!) will be tight as we will be living on Justin's income only.  Heck, even the first year or two will be tight.  If I make it to Year 3, things should start looking up at that point.  If Justin ever wanted to bask in the glory of being the breadwinner, this is his chance!  lol...

So, what am I switching careers to???

REAL ESTATE.


Yes, you can laugh!  And yes, you probably agree that I'm crazy for quitting my salaried jobs to work in such a poor industry! 

However, and I stress HOWEVER--things are a little different where we are.

The Little Apple's market has been flat the past couple of years--meaning, we haven't had any losses...or gains in homes sales.  On an encouraging note, the firm I'm going in with experienced an 8% increase in sales during the flat market of 2011. 

As my witty friend Erin put it, "Well, either you're a genius for getting in the game now--or, setting yourself up nicely to become a stay at home mom."

We're hoping that as the market recovers and industry continues to relocate to our community, that I will already be settled in my career as a Realtor before things really  recover.  And then, I'll be the go-to-gal for all of your housing and real estate needs!

It's fair to say that Justin is very anxious about this career move.  He has been extremely supportive about my decision but the unknown is always scary.  Same as I fear, he has that worry about what if I suck???  And I end up as a stay-at-home-Mom?!  Especially, since we don't have any kids?!  That would be humiliating!  I really don't want to prove to everyone that I was crazy! 

For those of you who want to know everything there is to know, here are the details:
--I'm going in with Coldwell Banker.  They're a franchise brokerage so you've probably seen them where you live!  In any given year, they're the #1 or #2 real estate leader in our community.
--Ironically enough, we bought our house from the Broker at Coldwell Banker.  Long story short, Kelly asked me to join their firm and after much deliberation, I decided to go for it.  I hope that's a sign that he believes I will do well!
--I'm leaving my job coordinating the Supervised Visitation program at the end of March.  I'm not one to cry, but I'm pretty sure I'll be in tears after my last day at the office.  But on a positive note, I'm sure I'll find a way to keep giving back to CASA!
--I'll stick with my school job until the end of the semester.  I'll miss my kiddos like crazy but I won't miss dealing with ornery houligans!
--I'm looking forward to the flexible schedule that comes with being a Realtor.  I can be out-and-about during the day to network...I can start making an appearance at the gym again...if and when kids come I can design my schedule to allow for family time and time to be at the kids' activities...

There are tons of other positives that will come with this career change--some of which I can't even fathom at this point in time.  As nervous as I am, I'm equally excited.  It's always fun to start out on a new adventure and see where it leads you!

1 comment:

  1. 1a. Still super excited for your new adventure.
    2b. Super psyched my comment made it in the blog! :)

    Cheers, Taddy-Long-Legs!

    ReplyDelete