Sunday, August 5, 2012

My New Addiction--Thrifting for Clothes

I feel like I finally have to come clean.

I have a new addiction.

I've always liked clothes--well, in fact, I've always LOVED clothes.  My roommates in college used to tease me about playing "dress up" before going to class, a special occasion, you name it.  And if you were to ask my husband, he would have no problem confirming that I still do that!

But really--I don't think I'm the only person who can go through at least 5 outfits before finally settling on something to wear!  At the beginning of the summer, my "dress up" time was starting to become really complicated--and frustrating.  Once I decided to go into the world of business, I started buying more business-casual clothing.  However, I had no clue it would be 100+ degrees for weeks on end and the clothes I had purchased just weren't cutting it.  Frankly, I'm not sure what type of clothing is suitable for temperatures in the triple digits.  A few weeks ago, I heard a radio segment explaining that the best way to dress for the heat wave was to wear nothing at all...and the guy was dead serious!  While I could totally understand where he was coming from, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly at the office!

To the drawing board I went.  I HAD to find affordable clothes that I wouldn't die in.  It's not uncommon for me to spend 4-5 hours at a time, wandering between houses AND on top of that, showing houses without any air conditioning.  Trust me--if I could, I would personally pay those seller's AC bills just so I don't have to sweat to death while showing their property!

During a state of desperation, I swung by the Goodwill store in Topeka while making a Sam's run.  I figured it was worth a shot and if anything, I might get a good laugh out of the stuff at the store!  Lo and behold, I was sooooooooooooooooooo wrong!  And in a good way :-)

The store ROCKED.  It had most all the typical labels you could imagine--GAP, Banana Republic, Express, Limited, Ann Taylor, H&M, J.Crew, Apt. 9, New York & Co., the list goes on.  It took some time digging through the racks, but I found tons of great name-brand items that were in excellent shape (lots of the clothing still had tags on it!) and in style.  The only catch--it wasn't always the right size.  But for a person who's working--and incurring expenses just to work--with the first paycheck being months away yet, I was sure grateful for my finds!

A few weeks after I hit up the store in Topeka, a Goodwill was opened up here in our community.

Can you spell trouble?!

It was on.  I stopped by the store one day after work and found TONS of stuff!  I found clothes for the summer--and clothes for when the weather cools off.  I put all my stuff (or crap, as the husband would say) in my cart and went to check out.  When it was all said and done, I had 5 bags FULL of stuff--and it cost just $80, including tax!

I never should have stepped into that store because I'm convinced my brain is permanently re-wired now!  On average, a bag full of stuff from Goodwill runs me about $30--give or take.  Go to the department store to buy a shirt and that alone will cost at least $30.  Why on earth would I do that?!  Especially when I have to build a more professional wardrobe while lacking a paycheck?!  Even if we end up with all the money in the world (ha!), I'm not sure that I could ever go back to paying full-price for stuff from the department stores.  Well, with the exception of pants and shoes!  After all, there is a reason I'm nicknamed Taddy-Long-Legs ;-)

In all reality, there is a thrill to the thrifting.  You never know what you will find!  One of my girlfriends found a Halston caftan that would normally retail for $300-400...and it cost her $1.14!  Fortunately, I enjoy combining different pieces of apparel to create my very own outfit--I've never seen the point in buying the outfit worn by the mannequin in a window!  After all, you could end up in a room with another person wearing the exact same thing!  

I realize that for a lot of people, there's a stigma associated with wearing clothes from a second-hand store.  But being the second daughter in our family, I wore TONS of hand-me-downs and thought nothing of it!  In fact, I always loved going over to the neighbors and getting to pick out clothes that Rebekah had outgrown...she had the GOOD stuff and I felt pretty cool getting to wear it :-)  And to this day, if I have friends getting rid of clothes, I have no problem buying stuff from them!

So--what have I found on my thrifting adventures???  Below are some of the pieces that I have worn over the past week or two.  And trust me, based on the the number of bags I have brought home, there's more to come!

Merona Skirt--$3
This is what I get for asking Justin to take a picture!  Maybe I'll buy  him photography lessons for Christmas... ;-)

Yay for Listing Consultations!  Express blouse--$4, GAP bubble skirt--$6

Axcess Skirt--$6
Ann Taylor LOFT Skirt--$5, Next Edition Eyelet Blouse--$4

GAP Denim Skirt--$2, GAP Tee with flat pom-pom trim--$1
Apt. 9 Blouse--$4, Ann Taylor LOFT Capris--$1
Headed into the office to sign paperwork!  Apt 9 Chinos (rolled into crops)--$1

2 comments:

  1. WHAT???? They opened a GW in Manhattan!? I'm sooo coming back! lol. They have one here but it's not that great. Where is the one located in Manhattan? They needed one for sure! Have you been to the one in JC? It often has nice things from military friends that buy from other stations (ie NY and other nice forts).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shauna, YES! We finally have a GW here! It's about 2 doors down from K-Mart. It's actually a VERY good GW, too! I've been to the one in Junction twice. I didn't have much luck either time, but I did notice they carried REALLY nice purses :-) Gotta love being in a military community!

    ReplyDelete