Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dining in Style

Included in the purchase of our house was this 1980s-Vegas-Sheek ceiling fan smack dab in the middle of the dining room...

I'm not sure that I can recall ANY dining room that has a ceiling fan it...especially a black-and-gold one!
I had been looking for the perfect light fixture and thought I found it a few months ago. However, when the drum pendant arrived, it was just way too small for the space. And the ones that were big enough cost an arm and a leg!
Last week, I was running errands and saw that Manhattan's new repurpose store was open. I stopped by T-La-Re to see what fun stuff they had and I found a painted chandelier with crystal accents. The crystal was the perfect touch and the price couldn't be beat!
I brought it home and immediately realized neither Justin nor myself had any idea about hanging light fixtures! I was pretty sure we could get the ceiling fan down but I didn't know where to go from there...other than to call my friend Stephanie and ask about hiring her husband to do the job!
Fortunately, Robert was able to come by on Monday afternoon. Thank God we had him! The fan didn't have a "box" so Robert had to go buy one to install, in addition to buying this support thing to put in the ceiling before we could hang the light...I'm beyond grateful that we had his help because our plaster ceiling would have crambled if we tried to do it--and our light source would have been the attic!
The dining room is slowly coming together...now that we have the big pieces we can start finding stuff to hang on the walls, picking out window treatments, accessorizing the space and just plain ENJOYING it!

No comments:

Post a Comment