Friday, April 15, 2011

Fenced In...

I've been waiting for the perfect time to paint our fence.  We've had several perfect days--but painting the fence requires that I am home on those days!

Since our fence went up in September, I wanted to paint it white...fast forward to last week when I repainted our front porch.  That whole mess convinced me that the last thing I would want to do is scrape/sand/brush a fence the next time it needed a new coat of white paint.

I was back to Square One.  I did some online research and found that they make colored stains.  Yes, color!  No scraping or sanding required!  I checked with our local Sherwinn-Williams and they had plenty of options.


Personally, I would love to paint our fence a "color."  Considering that this will NOT be our forever home, though, I think I need to move past that idea.

They make a white solid-colored stain and if we go that route, our fence would look something like this...

However, we have about 250 feet of fencing.  That's a lot of white.  Do we want that much white???  On the flipside, it would keep with the age of the house, go with the existing white trim and help blend in the side of the neighbor's white garage.

Our other "safe" option is to stain it a wood color...if so, I would like to do something a little richer and deeper than the existing cedar planks.  Something like this...

To me, our house needs to be a bit more of the Craftsman tradition to warrant a wood colored stain. 

When I price-checked the stains, there was no difference in cost.  That didn't help make the decision any easier!!!

I have no idea what to do.  My heart is wanting some color but my head is telling me "no."  Wow, that just sounded like a horrible love song...Then there's a crazy side of me that says paint the fence a color I like AND paint the house a complimentary shade to go with the fence.  Like I said, that's crazy. 

Any feeback would be appreciated.  We have 4' fencing on the front of the house and by the big side yard along the alley, but 6' fencing along the backside and narrow portion between the other houses.  That also seems to throw me for a loop--who's ever seen a 6 foot tall white picket fence?!





No comments:

Post a Comment