Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What I Learned at School (This Semester)

1.  Time really does fly!  How is the semester almost over?!  It should still be September, maybe even October, but definitely not late December.

2.  I'm getting "old."  Some of the songs played at Middle School dances will knock the socks off of ya--that is, if you are still "young" enough to know what the songs are referencing.  Such songs would NEVER have been allowed when I was their age!

3.  Always wear comfortable shoes!  Not because I stand on my feet all day--but for the unannounced drills that send you hiking a mile in each direction to the nearest Community Center because there has been a hypothetical "bomb" explode in the school.

4.  When the students call you the "hot teacher," trust me, it's far from a compliment.  Anything that is not 60-years old and wearing a plaid jumper tends to fall into the "hot" category!

5.  After 3.5 semesters, I have yet to become a morning person.  I would much rather be waking up at 7:20 am than walking through the office door!

6.  A little tough love and drawing of boundaries goes a long way.  Some of the kids I dreaded the most ended up being the most engaged and lovable of all the students by the semester's end!

7.  It's a small world.  So many of my students have been served by our CASA program and/or come from incredibly challenging backgrounds that could easily have sent them through our office.  Looking at the kiddos, you would never know what life is like for them away from school.  But it's a heartwarming moment when the kids stop me in the hall just to talk or tell me how things are going at home!

8.  I still don't like being touched.  Or hugged.  6th Graders LOVE to hug.  Even 7th Graders will still hug me.  Eeeeeeek!  At least my 8th Graders want nothing to do with touching me.

9.  It is AMAZING what you learn/hear when eating lunch with the kids.  Oh, and it's more fun eating at the boys' table--the girls are too gossipy and catty!

10.  No matter how old you are (or who you are), getting sent to the Principal's Office is still scary as h-e-double hockey sticks!  And then making a kid CRY in the Principal's Office because you asked them to explain what they did during class?!  It sucks.  Especially when they're usually a pretty good kid.  But then you worry if you did "okay" asking your questions in front of the Principal.  And then you wonder if the kid is going to hate you for life.  And then...you get the point! 

11.  If you ever want the kids to be on their best behavior, just show up with a Police Officer in tow!

And finally:
#12.  Having a Snow Day the second-to-last day before a shortened Christmas Break ROCKS!  It makes showing up at 7:20 am tomorrow morning a little bit easier ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment