Sunday, June 3, 2012

An Evening With The Taste of Home Cooking School

Just over a week ago, my girlfriends and I did something I had always wanted to do--we went to the Taste of Home Cooking School when it came through town!

When I was a little girl, I loved looking through my Grandma Marcene's Taste of Home magazines...the recipes always looked SO good and I loved reading the anecdotal stories that went along with each dish.

And to this day, I'm still a Taste of Home fan.  But now I don't have to flip through their magazines--I just head straight to their website!

So when Jen asked if I wanted to go to the Cooking School when it came to K-State last week, I was game!

For just $10, we received tickets to the show, a tote bag full of samples, two Taste of Home magazines, bunches of coupons and chances at the door prizes.  Oddly enough, one of the coupons was for 20% off any hair service where I get my hair done--you can bet that I'll be using that when I'm due for another round of color :-)

Anyhow, our "chef" for the evening was Jamie Dunn.  She's from Oklahoma but based on her drawl, I would have thought she was from somewhere further South than that!  But she was great to listen to and I really learned a lot of great tips that she shared as she made the various recipes.



McCain Auditorium was transformed into a cooking stage for the night!

They projected the cooking area onto the large overhead screen so we could see everything Jamie did

Speaking of recipes, over the course of 3 hours, Jamie made a total of ten recipes.  Now, that's some really fast cooking!!!  Being the space-cadet that I am, I already recycled the magazine and I can't remember the proper names of the dishes, but I'll still try my best...
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake

Taco Casserole

Johnsonville(R) Italian Meatballs

Mexican Shrimp Bisque

Asparagus Strudel

Gallo(R) Chipotle Lime Chicken

For the life of me, I couldn't find the other three recipes that she made that evening--and at this point, I can't remember what the names were, either!  Regardless, I do remember that when Jamie made them, they looked GOOD!

All in all, it was a great evening!  If you ever have a chance to attend one of their Cooking Schools, you definitely need to go and make sure you take your girlfriends with you.  When you combine great friends and good food, what could be better?!

2 comments:

  1. One of them was some sort of chicken with all the Emeril products!

    Did she make anything with the Naan bread that we got samples of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right! She made Emeril's New Orleans Garlic Chicken!!! As far as the naan goes, I remember seeing tons of recipes for it--but I don't remember her using it specifically for anything she made that night. But hey, what do I know?! Lol

    ReplyDelete