Friday, June 1, 2012

Mothers DO Know Best...The Pajama Edition

Every now and then, I have to admit--mothers DO know best...sometimes it's my own mom who proves me wrong, sometimes it's other moms who prove me wrong!

Last summer, I posted an entry about how my mom proved me wrong about one-piece swimsuits.  I used to LAUGH at the women at the pool who would cover up the entire body...But guess what?!  There finally came a point when I knew I couldn't traipse around the pool in a two-piece for fear of running into my teen-age students or professional contacts.  And before you knew it, I was in LOVE with a bunch of one-piece swim suits.  BUT, it's also safe to say that they weren't the most traditional suits in the world...regardless, though, Mom knew best and I was in the market for one-pieces!

For as long as I can remember, my mom always had "real" pajamas...and it seemed that she always expected us to have "real" pajamas as well.  As children, we had matching sets but once I left the house, real pajamas were LONG gone!  I was free :-)  Why would a person spend money on separate clothes to sleep in when you could just sleep in a pair of Nike shorts and a t-shirt???  Or, the clothes you went out in???  Okay, soooo, yeah, I may have done that once or twice during my college days--and I still do it every blue moon if I lay down for a late-night "nap" after a long day at work!  But at least I don't wake up smelling like a smokey bar the next morning!

Anywho, back to the point I'm trying to make...I remember a few years ago when I was a guest at the local hospital.  After I was moved out of ICU and into a regular room, I could wear my OWN pajamas!  I told Mom to grab my Nike pants and t-shirt out of my bag and I could tell she was not impressed with my choice of sleeping clothes...and before you knew it, she left the hospital and returned with a pair of pajama pants and a bath robe.

I remember thinking, "Really?! What's wrong with what my Nike pants?!"  But then, I put on the pajama pants...and WOW...they were soft...and comfy!!!

It was at that point that I figured out, maybe moms do know best about pajamas...

In the past few years, I've added a few pajama pants to my collection--but I still can't justify spending money on something that I wouldn't wear in public!

Well, I take that back.  Maybe I would wear my pajamas in public if they looked like the pajamas below! The other day I ran to JCPenny's to return my wedges (yes, my favorite wedges started to fall apart after wearing them only twice!) and I saw some super cute dresses in the sleepwear section.  And then I realized--they weren't "dresses," they were for-real pajamas!  Sign me up!  If I wanted, I could drink my morning coffee on the front porch and almost look like I was dressed for the day...and I could make a trip to Walmart (but that would require me to actually be willing to go to that place!) in my pajamas and not end up on their People of Wal-Mart website!  Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to muster the courage to spend some money on real pajamas and I'll be wearing a fab maxi dress when the mailman is at the door with a package at 2:00pm on a Saturday afternoon!  Oh, but I never said I'd have my hair and make-up done ;-)


I can't stand the matching pants, but maybe you could pair the top with the As-Seen-On-TV Pajama Jeans and be super stylin' ;-)  Just Kidding!


I'm not crazy about the tank-top, but the leopard print tank at the bottom would look great with the leggings and cardigan...you could almost pull of morning-coffee at the local coffee shop with this look ;-)




If you added some accessories and a cute pair of shoes, you could walk around town all day in your pajamas!  Ha!

1 comment:

  1. HA! I love those little dresses, so cute. I hate sleeping in "dresses" though. I love to sleep in Pajamas, i used to simply be a sweat pants and t shirt girl, but i found some on sale and love them to death. and i feel like they make you look cuter. but you are right i would be much more aptd to wear sweats to the store (still not likely though) than pajamas...

    ReplyDelete