Friday, November 2, 2012

The Past 3 Weeks...

Man, I feel like such a slacker lately!  My posts are becoming fewer and farther between...I prefer to keep my posts short and sweet (ha!), but that would also require me to be by a computer--with free time--on a regular basis...and that's obviously the problem!
 
October continued to be an extremely busy month for us--and I knew that it would be waaaaaaaaaaaay back during the first part of September.  And honestly, things probably won't slow down much until after Thanksgiving...but it is what it is!
 
Several weekends ago, Justin and I took our Youth Group to a local pumpkin patch for a bonfire roast and flash-light lit cornmaze.  I had no idea what we'd be getting ourselves into, but it turned out to be a gorgeous evening full of fun activities (beyond turning marshmallows into flaming balls of fire or scaring yourself to death in a dark cornfield!)
 
When we arrived at the pumpkin patch, there was the most incredible sunset! 
 
 
And a super-huge slide that the kids loved going down while it was still light out... 

And we even managed to talk Big J into going down it a time or two!
 
 
Speaking of Big J...this picture cracks me up! 
 
 
 By the time we wrapped up the Pumpkin Patch, I was exhausted...after all, I made an impromptu appearance EARLY that morning for The United Way of Riley County and had to get dressed-up on my day off!  I do love me some clothes, but I highly dislike waking up, putting on dress clothes and doing my hair if I don't have to work!  But in all reality, I'm very honored to be the Campaign Chair for the 2013 United Way Campaign and look forward to talking with numerous businesses about supporting the United Way and the local agencies that benefit from the funding!
 
 
The home-improvement projects seem to continue on...the roof and new guttering is done, so it's time to tear something else up, right? :-)  We had a contractor come by to look at the bathroom...and the garage...and the ventilation in our dormer...Now we're just waiting to see how much the damage will be...eeeeeeeeeek!  I really don't want to part with our money but we will be in our house for several more years, so we might as well change out the things we can't stand!
 
 
Oh, and speaking of money--we ended up trading in my Altima...for another Altima!  The heater in my old one wouldn't turn on until the car had been driven for at least 10 minutes and cosmetically speaking, the body was getting BEAT UP!  The goal was to hold onto it for another year or so...but it was going to cost more to repair everything than what the car was worth, so we swapped it while it still had some value.  Fortunately, we timed our decision just right--the new body style is now on the market so they were running some good deals...AND Justin's discount with Union Pacific saved us about another 10%.  Even though his schedule may suck a times, there ARE some benefits :-)
 


So, I know this part is absolutely, insanely, riduculous--but we bought Mitzi a car seat for the new car!  At least, it will keep her little nails from tearing up the leather upholstery :-/  Oh--the even better part?  It keeps her in one spot, too, while I drive!
 
 
Speaking of Justin's chaotic schedule, we have learned one lesson about working for the railroad.  DO NOT schedule things for weeknights.  Earlier this summer, it was announced that Dr. John and The Blind Boys of Alabama were coming to McCain in October--we bought the tickets as our 2-year wedding anniversary gift to each other and looked forward to the concert all Fall.  The problem?  The concert started at 7:30pm.  Justin got home from work at 10:00pm.  On a Friday night.  Happy belated-anniversary to us...NOT!  But, at least we still have each other.  And a local store that carries Dr. John's newest album on vinyl :-)
 
 
On a happier note... :-)  Mom had my niece for the day a few weeks ago and they made a trip down to the Little Apple.  I watched Marcella (in reality, we had our own little dance party!) while Mom ran errands and then went to lunch together.  Is it bad that I would kidnap the little girl if my brother and his wife let me?!  Marcella melted my heart on Day 1 and I still can't get enough of her--she's constantly growing and learning so much new stuff!  Oh, and she still is crazy about Mitzi :-)

 
 
Speaking of babes, our friends David and Joyce gave birth to a beautiful baby girl a few weeks ago.  Justin and I went out to their farm to deliver meals and meet baby Elena--and much to our surprise, David cranked up his "toy" tractor and let Justin behind the wheel!  Justin LOVED driving it!  Thankfully, we have nowhere to store one here in town, otherwise I imagine Justin would be on a tractor-kick!


 
 
Then, last weekend, we headed to Kansas City to celebrate the marriage of our friends, Jabin and Natalie.  Justin and Jabin lived together at K-State and to this day, they're still friends.  In fact, all four of the roommates are still friends!  Maybe it's a guy thing because I'm not sure if I know of female roommates who still ALL talk to each other, and stand up for each other in weddings.  Regardless, they all have a great friendship and it's always crazy when they're together.  They're like giggly 7-year old boys trapped in the bodies of young men :-)

Tying the knot--literally!


The brothers from a different mother!  Okay, not really...but it seems like it!
 
It's nearly impossible to get a "normal" picture of the guys when they're all together!



Guess who looks tired?!?!
Seriously, this is my most favorite picture(s) of Justin and I...EVER!  Pretty much sums up our interactions with each other :-)

And, FINALLY.  HALLOWEEN!!!  I love decorating for Halloween...if you can't tell ;-)  I was disappointed, though, because this year the doorbell only rang 3 times.  At 8:40, I called it a night and shut down the house...only to find out 20 minutes later that our friend tried to bring her 3 kids by!

So I kid you not--I told them that if they came back over last night, I'd give them all the candy!  And guess what?!  At 7:00 last night, I had a bumblebee, football player and Captain America standing on my front porch.  I LOVED it!!!  I'm pretty sure the people driving by were confused, but whatever :-)  Heather and the kids were game for it, and I thought it was great!  Oh, and it got all the leftover candy out of our house!!!


2 comments:

  1. Bria, I absolutely love reading your blog. You could have a career in journalism.
    Fr.Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Fr. Tom! Glad you love reading it and can still keep up with what's going on back in the Little Apple. Tell Susan "hi" from us!!!

    ReplyDelete