Thursday, August 8, 2013

Hello, Third Trimester!

The title says it all.

The third trimester is here!

Where HAS the time gone?! I felt this way around week 21, but here we are 7 weeks later and that seems like just yesterday.  Literally!  And to think that we're just about 12 weeks away from our Halloween due date!  Eeeeek!

Considering how quickly time is flying by, I'm just glad we got a head start on a lot of the big things!

We enrolled in a bunch of childbirth/breastfeeding/baby CPR/daddy boot camp classes at our local hospital--they start in a few weeks and last through most of September.  Justin and I seriously need all the help we can get when it comes to this baby thing!  Though we know how to stare at a baby and go "ohhhhh, they're so cute!", we have no idea how to actually CARE for a newborn so you know we'll be all eyes and ears!

On a similar note, Justin's insurance has an "incentive" program that we're also enrolled in...if we attend  every-other doctor appointment and call them when the baby's born, we get a $250 gift card!  Yup, no joke!  It doesn't even require that we attend the classes!  Seriously, they have to bribe people to show up to just HALF of their prenatal appointments?!  Oh, that's right...I did work in social services and I do know that for various reasons, some people don't take proper care of themselves and their baby...beyond sad.  And beyond sad that insurance companies are now bribing people just to show up to only half of their appointments!

The nursery continues to come together.  Several posts ago, I shared my "inspiration" for the nursery...really, it's just a hodgepodge of stuff that has a similar color scheme.  VERY eclectic, to say the least!

And fortunately, we assembled the crib and changing some time ago.  At the time, I remember it felt SO premature, but now that squatting for very long is quite uncomfortable, I'm glad we did it when I still had the energy to move and boss Justin around :-)  It was also the motivation I needed to change the wall color from K-State purple to a shade of turquoise!

However, if you were to walk into the nursery at any given moment, it would NOT look like the above picture!  It's a total disaster zone!  We've hung the curtains (but they still need the creases ironed out!), hung up some wall art, found a lamp base for the lamp shade that inspired this whole thing and found a mirror that needs to be hung yet.  We've just been waiting for the final two pieces to be dealt with--the hutch and rocking chair.

The hutch is ready to be picked up this weekend---eeek!  I'm super excited to see it!  I found it on Craigslist (go figure!) and it dates back to the 1950s.  I never knew WHAT kind of wood the hutch was made out of, but according to the guy we hired to refinish it, it's solid oak that was given a "pickle" finish to make it more blonde.  The goal is to remove the pickling and return it to it's natural color (with maybe a bit of the white still deep down in the grain)--I have an idea of what the finished product will look like but I'll have to wait until I get off work on Saturday to see how it turned out!  Like I told Justin, who knows--if it refinishes as well as I think it might, my crazy, cheap Craigslist find might end up turning into an heirloom piece of furniture for our little family!
The "pickled" hutch--holding all our junk and just waiting to be refinished!

And here's proof of the nursery's current state!  On any given day, it's cluttered with stuff that still needs dealt with--and Mitzi.  Mitzi just LOVES the nasty rocker and fortunately for her, both she and I can fit in it together....but I'm not sure how well that's going to work once the baby arrives!
Just waiting for Mitzi's newest favorite chair to be reupholstered, as well!

Once the rocker is reupholstered and decor hung on the walls, I think the nursery will be finished!  At that point, we can sit back and watch my belly continue to grow!

When I hit week 26, I realized I hadn't taken a new picture so we waited until a play date with my niece so that she could be included in the "documentation."

Miss Marcella is now 20-months old and boy, is her personality coming alive!  If you ask her parents, they will tell you the she and I share the same personality...kinda scary, especially considering how stubborn they say she can be!  lol...oh well, at least they know what I'm like and they can start to prepare themselves for a hard-headed daughter!

Anyhow, for the pictures, I tried to get Marcella to point to where the baby is...and well, it didn't start out so well!  She first pointed at her knee and when we said, "No!  The baby's not in your knee!" she then started to cheese the most ornery smile and well, never stopped being ornery!  We tried everything we could to get her to flash one of her sweet smiles for us...


And finally, the orneriness wore off!  She started pointing at my belly and then put her hand on it!  Fortunately, Justin was able to capture one of her more serious moments.  In years to come, it will be a great picture to look back at and I just hope that I remember to put it in the baby book!


And now, here we are at week 28 and the start of the third trimester!!

This time around, Justin was out of town at a train-the-trainer workshop for Asplundh ...so, if I wanted a picture, it was a cheesy self-portrait or nothing!

Quite obviously, I'm finally starting to grow and show!  People are still surprised to hear how far along I am--one of the gals at my office asked the other day if I was at 4 months and before I could answer, the other one said, "No--she's five months along."  No.  And No!   :-)  lol...the one downfall to carrying this baby high and tight is the lack of special "privileges"(cutting lines, being TOLD to back off, etc)  from complete strangers, but that will probably come with a bit more growth!  Per our bathroom scale, I've gained about a total of 15 pounds...it doesn't really seem like it until I go to get out of bed and holy cow, I move like a beached whale!  I love, love, love our Tempurpedic but they're not the best for  helping a pregnant woman "boost" herself out of bed!

Well, folks--I think that's all for now!  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment