Saturday, August 31, 2013

Week 31 & Plenty of Excitement!

This week has been full of excitement!

I returned to work from my week "vacation" and found out that the agent who was backing me up worked her BUTT off while I was gone!  During the seven days I was out, she got two houses under contract for me, started negotiations on an offer for a third set of buyers and also took care of the inspections for a fourth set of my buyers.  With that kind of productivity, maybe I should take more time off?!

The painters continued the work on our house.  They originally estimated the project to take 7-8 business days.  Let's just say that they've been here for 9 days and there is STILL a lot of painting to be done!  However, their attention to detail is impeccable and when it's all said and done, the wait will be worth it.  In fact, we've already noticed the neighbors down the street trying to sneak a peak!

We're also starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with the garage remodel.  All three sides have been re-framed and new siding hung, so now we just need to get a new garage door ordered and we can finish up the front!  Last step will be insulating the interior and painting it to match the house!

With the front still unfinished, it looks a little crazy--BUT, the siding is a huge improvement from what used to be there...


While I'm thinking of our house projects--the one thing I wanted to achieve after putting on a new roof and getting a fresh coat of paint was to get rid of this HIDEOUS vent.  It's literally two metal vents screwed into a piece of plywood, that was then screwed into the opening for the original dormer window.  Whoever thought this was a bright idea was an idiot!

With some additional roof ventilation, our roofer gave us the blessing to make the switch!  With that, Justin crawled into our attic to remove the hideous vent and install the original dormer window! And of course, I had him do it on a day when the heat index was hovering around 100 degrees...


Even though I told him he won Husband-of-the-Year, Mr. Grouchy Pants wasn't too thrilled about over-heating after already spending all day out in the hot sun...but hey, the window is back in place AND his wife is beyond happy.  Once the dormer is repainted and the window re-glazed, I'm pretty sure he'll have a big smile on his face!

But to be honest, he's already BEAMING.  And it has nothing to do with the house!

For months, Justin has been studying for his International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist test...he'd wake up about 4am, study until it was time for work, come home and spend the rest of the evening studying.  He truly did nothing but work and study!  The test was on August 16th and they said it would take 4-6 weeks to receive the results...

Well, a packet arrived in Thursday's mail and the results were inside--he passed!  Not too surprising, considering he could tell you everything you'd ever want to know about trees--and then some!  But now, he isn't just a "tree expert"--he can tell you about all sorts of woody plants!  

And of course, if you live anywhere in Kansas, you know that Friday was the start of K-State's football season!  The new West Stadium addition was complete, the Bill Snyder statue was ready to be revealed, Purple Power Play ran for two nights--the town was abuzz with excitement!

I started Friday morning by making Justin help with a "festive" photo shoot.  I was pregnant during the Spring Game, but was fighting some major allergies that day (soooo can't wait to be able to get my allergy shots again!) so I missed the game.  Friday marked baby's "first time" in football purple!  And plus, we needed a week 31 pic!

The morning started out at the KMAN radio studio...as Campaign Chair for our United Way 2013 Campaign, I was interviewed alongside our Board President for our back Kick-Off Event that was planned for the following morning.  By the time we left, traffic had already picked up and because my office is within walking distance of the stadium, all I could think about was how I wanted to leave work at the end of the day and NOT get hit!

Well, I think I jinxed myself.  As I drove from the KMAN studio to my office, I totally got rear-ended at a stoplight by an out-of-town K-State fan!  The other driver was freaking out about missing the dedication ceremony for the new stadium...the hormonal side of me wanted to smack some sense into her!  I don't like to throw pity parties, but seriously!  There I am--nearly 8-months pregnant, standing around in the heat while we wait for the police to arrive and file a report, missing appointments with clients (and missing more work so the doctor could check me out that afternoon) and she's worried about being late to a $#%*@^# dedication ceremony?!  

Fortunately, my regular doctor was able to see me later in the day and after consulting with my OB-GYN, they both felt that baby was doing fine.  And I was fine.  But my concern--and Justin's, too--was that we wanted to make sure the impact didn't cause any problems.  And thank the Good Lord, it didn't!  But if anything, talk about a reality check--this baby hasn't even been born yet, and I was already about to go into Mama Bear mode!  

At this rate, we're looking forward to a less exciting Labor Day weekend.  Part of the weekend will be spent working, but we'll also be able to squeeze in some time for family and fun.  Oh, and hopefully, some rest!  I am becoming a HUGE fan of sitting on my butt for a few minutes :-)  I still haven't had a chance to make friends with our couch and TV, but I'm sure that in about 8 weeks, I'll have plenty of time to hang out around the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment