Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Week 36--Where Did September Go?!?!

Have you ever had one of those months where you just KNEW you were going to be super busy???  For us, September was certainly one of those months...When we turned the calendar from August to September there was hardly any blank space left--where would we fit in all the day-to-day stuff that pops up?  And now, today is already the first day of October!

It's crazy to think that in just about 4 weeks or so, we'll be welcoming our baby girl to the world...eeeeeeek!  I haven't been the best about taking weekly pictures, but here are some updated belly shots:
Week 33--finally had a stranger comment on my belly!

Week 34
1 day shy of 36 weeks!
And slowly but surely, my feet are disappearing!  When I look down, this is what I see!  On a funny note, my belly button has NOT popped yet--the little "bump" that's now showing is my belly ring...one day, an older lady said, "Look--your belly button finally popped!" and I just didn't have the heart to disappoint her with the news that she was really looking at my body piercing...!

Speaking of baby, we had all of our baby classes this month and took our tour of the Labor & Delivery unit at our local hospital.  Since most of my face-to-face time with clients is in the evenings, it was a bit tricky blocking out 6 evenings for classes and still finding time for clients--plus, all of my other community activities that have evening obligations!  But, I got through it and we even heard a baby being born when we were touring the L&D unit--made it worth skipping out on work!


Work has continued to stay busy.  Many people have asked if I will continuing to work the next few weeks and so far, that's the plan.  I have another agent who will cover my transactions while I'm on maternity leave, but I really do like my clients and my work so much that I don't want to be on the couch, twiddling my thumbs, doing nothing.  Fortunately, during the past month, I have been blessed with four closings, executing a contract on a pending sale and bringing on a new listing--my broker is loving my productivity, but I'm just happy that I could help my clients achieve all of their goals!








I will admit that when I get home from work, I am more than ready to sit down for a minute!  Fortunately, my energy hasn't taken a huge hit, but I'm to the point where I definitely need to elevate my feet.  And when I'm on the couch, that means one thing--the dog has to be on the couch, too!  Mitzi, being the lap dog (or well, belly dog) she is, has finally figured out how to "fit" on my lap without smushing the baby!

And anytime one works hard, you have to play hard!  Otherwise, as one of my favorite movie characters once said, "If you take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive."  Thank you, Van Wilder, for giving me permission to take some time off ;-)

Keeping that advice in mind, we spent one of our evenings at the 2nd Annual CASA Comedy Club fundraiser and let me tell you, it was a blast!  They brought in three excellent comedians from the East Coast--the second guy had me laughing so hard that I was worried I'd start having contractions!  And always the foodie, I have to admit the meal was top-notch, too.  Just can't wait until we go again next year!!!


A few Sundays ago, we scooted down the road to Lawrence to attend my brother-in-law's church confirmation.  The bishop is always present for confirmations and I just had to tease Adam about getting a picture with the "guy in the funny hat."  As a little, little kid, I could never remember the Bishop's title, but I always remembered the funny hat that he would wear!

Before we left town, we stopped by Morningstar's Pizza to pick up our TEAM DAIN shirts.  5 weeks ago, my first cousin, Dain, fell from a roof and shattered his C-5 vertebrae.  Dain's been living out in Washington State for several years now and has been receiving excellent care while in Seattle.  But with his paralysis comes unbelievable expenses and hurdles--being a Lawrence native, the shirts for his fundraiser could be purchased locally and we just had to get our hands on one, take a picture and send it to him!  Dain's updates always put a smile on my face (well, most of the time--sometimes his reality checks and my hormones aren't a good combination!) and we wanted to do the same for him!

Speaking of family--last weekend, my sister and sister-in-law hosted a shower to celebrate Baby Williams.  All I can say is that this little girl is well-loved by so many people and she's not even here yet!

One of the highlights of the weekend was getting to spend it with my former college roommate, Jill.  A few weeks before the shower, she called to say she was coming down from Omaha for the occasion--needless to say, I was beyond excited!  Sometimes, our schedules prevent us from seeing each other for several years at a time--but this year, we've squeezed in three road-trips to see one another!  Kinda helps when there are "milestone" birthdays, weddings and babies to celebrate :-)

The morning of the shower, we did our final walk-through with the painters.  After four weeks of work, the painters were DONE and they could finally move on to another project!  Needless to say, our house took WAY more time than any of us expected...The job was originally estimated to take a week and a half or so.  By the time it was all said and done, they spent two weeks doing prep work, followed by 2 weeks of painting, used 50+ tubes of caulk and did numerous (unexpected) preservation projects.  I guarantee they never want to see our house again!!!  lol

I won't bore you with all of the before's-and-after's, but here are some of my favorite improvements:
Before...

After...



The original mail slot...one of the things I love about our house!  The mail drops directly into our living room--how cool is that?! 

The restored mailbox and hardware.  MUCH more attractive!  lol


The dormer and "hand-crafted" vent before...Always loved the dormer, but HATED the vent

The dormer with the original window afterwards...

The newly painted porch!  There's a total of 9 colors up there!  But fortunately, it doesn't seem like that many :-)  Do love the throw-back blue ceiling and how it makes everything else just 'pop'!  Before the other paint started to fail, the porch was our favorite part of the house--now, we enjoy it even more!
After our walk-through, Justin started into the yard. Having people trample our yard for 4 weeks really did a number on the grass...but, it was also in serious need of being aerated and over-seeded.  Thankfully, Justin loves yard work--he was beyond ready to go pick up the machines and get our yard back in shape!
Running the aerator!  We're not sure if our yard has EVER been aerated, so it will be fun to see if it makes any difference come Spring!

Justin's other project is nearly done, as well!  We now have power to the garage...

The new siding has been hung and the opening has been reframed to accommodate a new door.  Once the door arrives and is installed, the garage will be trimmed out and we'll be DONE for the season! The siding will still need caulked and painted but that can wait until the Spring.  We are so over home improvement projects right now!


And last but not least, last week was our 3rd wedding anniversary!  Woo-who!  It doesn't seem like it's been three years since we got hitched.  Time truly has flown by and now that a baby is getting added to the mix, I can't even imagine how fast the next 10-20-30 years will go!  Scary!

As our anniversary fell in the middle of a busy week, we decided to "celebrate" with lunch on Friday--followed by flu shots at Walgreens.  Could it NOT get anymore romantic?!  lol...next year, somebody better force us to get a babysitter so that we can celebrate with a real dinner, a movie, SOMETHING!  But worst part about being lame?  We had Mexican for lunch and holy hell, my acid reflux kicked into high gear.  It wasn't until Monday that I was able to consume something other than water, Tums and popsicles.  I was absolutely miserable, but thankfully, the pressure on my stomach is just temporary.  A few weeks ago, I shared my theory about this girl coming out with not just a head of hair, but an Afro...after this most recent experience with "heart burn," I'm convinced the Afro has grown into dreads ;-)  Guess we'll find out if I'm right in just a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment