Wednesday, September 1, 2010

24 Days Left!

Today is September 1st.  Holy cow.

Our wedding is in just 24 days.  Holy cow.

We got engaged almost 15 months ago and started planning a small wedding.  Holy cow.

A small, simple wedding...what a romantic, intimate way to say your vows and celebrate your marriage...yeah, right!

Justin is one of seven children.  He has a ton of aunts & uncles plus cousins and their children.  He grew up in a small town, moved to Milwaukee in High School, played junior college ball outside of Chicago, transferred to KSU and has since worked at two different places.  My family isn't near as plentiful as Justin's, but there's still a bunch of us!  I also grew up in a small town, spent 2 years at Creighton, transferred to KSU and have since worked at numerous places and become involved in various boards and community projects.

In our 27 years of life, we have met TONS of people and we think the world of everyone we have come to know.  We realized we couldn't afford a 500-person wedding and frankly, I feel they can become very impersonable...so we went with the small, intimate wedding!

HUGE mistake.  Because the reception venue only holds about 80 people we were limited to family--and not even all of our family members at that--college roommates and a few coworkers.  Such a small guest list causes issues that you can all imagine, so we'll leave it at that...because if I even think about it my head starts hurting and my stomach goes crazy.

We have had our wedding day go from being an Away Game day for K-State Football to a Home Game day--thank you, Snyder, for changing the schedule in hopes of becoming Bowl eligible!  Hotel prices literally doubled, thus automatically requiring a minimum two night stay and everything in Manhattan & Wamego was either booked or refused to block off rooms for a wedding...so now our guests are staying in Junction City! 

Thankfully, a lot of the big stuff is done & major issues have been resolved.  Regardless of wedding size, I came to realize the amount of planning is the same.  The only difference with a small wedding is you end up with hurt feelings when it's all said and done. Lesson learned...but we have to keep moving on til the big day is here and over with!

My dress is done being altered so I pick it up this afternoon...and we need to file for our marriage license sometime this week.  After those two items are marked off the list, it's down to dealing with the final details as they come.  Thankfully, they're spread throughout the month but I just want to get them all done with...and now!  lol...Something tells me that I could be a frazzled wreck between now and September 25.

On top of it all, Justin's crew found out they're leaving for Hurricane Earl no later than tomorrow morning and they were told to pack for 2-weeks.  When they responded to Hurricane Ike in 2008, the 2-weeks turned into 4 weeks.  If that turns out to be the case with Earl, we'll cross that bridge when it comes...who knows, I may be picking Justin up from the airport just hours before our rehearsal starts!





1 comment:

  1. I remember the guest list was something my mom and I went back and forth about. I wanted a small wedding too but it didn't end up being small because it's so dang hard to know when to drawl the line! Hope Justin is back and you guys have a great wedding!

    ReplyDelete