Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Bedroom Re-Do

I totally pulled a "Marcene" this winter...

When my Grandma Marcene's health started to fail, the family suggested she and my Grandpa move to an Assisted Living facility.  The stubborn woman she was, Grandma Marcene was adament against moving to Country Place...until she realized she would have to buy all new furniture for her new place.  Grandma LOVED buying furniture and she was quickly on her way to Country Place.

When it came time for us to get a new bed, I told Justin we were redecorating our bedroom.  For me, it was a perfect excuse as we were getting a larger bed...which meant larger frame/headboard, more proportional nightstands, etc.

To be honest, the furniture we brought over from Shirley Lane just did not look right in a bungalow!  And all the brown was just too dark with the wood floors...I couldn't stand "The Dark Dungeon" that it had become.



Since February, our new bed and bedding arrived...I refinished an old wash stand that is now a night stand...hung new curtains...and found a different dresser.  The only thing we didn't change was the paint on the wall.  I'm burnt out on painting and I thought the blue would actually serve as a fun backdrop of color.

And this is what it all looks like so far:
Our old lamp just doesn't look right...still looking for the perfect replacement!

I'm hoping to make some throw pillows this summer.  The ones made for the bedding set were almost $200 a piece.  No joke.  Who buys pillows that cost more than all the bedding combined?!

I can't figure out what...but there needs to be something on each side of the window.  I'm almost thinking a willow-y decal of some sort that "stretches" across the window???
The spot between the door and corner is driving me nuts.  I feel like it needs something...maybe a couple of funky hooks hung in a vertical row???

Our new-to-us dresser and nightstand that I scored for only $150...I'm trying to decide if I should leave them as-is or paint them and refinish the hardware???
Looking into the hallway.  That big white square is an "after market" shadow box that some fool decided to install (oh, and it's also wired for electricity!).  It drives me NUTS!!!  Hopefully we'll get around to dry-walling over it sooner, rather than later.

The bedroom has come a long ways from where it was and it's ten times cozier.  But it still needs some accessories and a rug--walking around on a cold bedroom floor is no fun!  Plus, I think the color/texture of a rug would break up the darkness of the dresser against the floor in the event that I decide not to paint the dresser.

One thing that I have no idea what to do with is that huge wall with the shadowbox...If we ever get around to covering up the shadowbox, I'm really tempted to switch the layout of the room as I think it would be a better use of wall space.  But if we don't get around to it, who knows what we'll do!

No comments:

Post a Comment