Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Coleslaw Crazy

How do I know that I'm getting old?  I have suddenly found a liking for cabbage.  Really, there are a bunch of other signs that I'm becoming "more grown-up," but this sign--it took me by surprise!

I have NEVER liked coleslaw.  All the farmsales, church suppers, summer potlucks we went to as kids had coleslaw and boy, did all the old people get excited over it!  Oh, coleslaw!!!  You would hear them talk about how creamy it was, how it wasn't too sweet, their-recipe-this, their-recipe-that.  Just hearing the conversations was enough to steer me clear of it.  If old people liked it, there is no way I was trying it!

This fall I came across a recipe for Asian country style ribs that I posted here at http://taddylonglegs.blogspot.com/2010/12/epic-fail.html...I can't get enough of the ribs when we make the dish and unfortunately it's a greasy, greasy calorie-laden recipe.  Justin loves having rice with his meat dishes (pretty obvious he's not a meat-and-POTATO boy from the Midwest!)...I was trying to find a way to lighten the dish and read somewhere about substituting cabbage for rice.

I gave the cabbage a try and was hooked!  And I immediately realized I was getting old...

I'm still not much of a creamy mayo-based coleslaw person...I'm not sure if it's the taste or the flashbacks of the old people chatter that turns me off.

I have found two coleslaw recipes this summer that are actually pretty decent.  If you're anything like me and try to avoid using a hot stove/oven/microwave during the warm months, these may be up your alley!

Spicy Taco Slaw adapted from Semi-Homemade by Sandra Lee
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Chipotle hot sauce (I used Tabasco brand)
2 teaspoons chili lime seasoning (Mrs. Dash has a Fiesta Lime blend that is perfect!)
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 (16-ounce) bag coleslaw mix

In a small bowl combined the sour cream, mayonnaise, chipotle sauce, chili lime seasoning, and lime juice. Mix well until blended.  In a large bowl add the coleslaw and pour the sour cream mayonnaise mixture over top and toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
*This slaw is the closest thing I can find to the spicy slaw that So-Long-Saloon (in Aggieville) serves on their fish tacos.  It's very versatile--we tried it with grilled steak tacos, ground beef tacos and even pulled pork sandwiches.  Justin and his coworker absolutely loved the slaw on the pulled pork!
If you're in the mood for a lighter--not so fatty--slaw, try this one:

Mexican Coleslaw adapted from Eating Well magazine
1 (16-ounce) bag coleslaw mix
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

Whisk cilantro, vinegar, oil and salt in a large bowl. Add coleslaw mix; toss well to coat.  Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Toss again to refresh just before serving.
*If you feel up to it, add a dash of cumin for a nice smoky flavor.  This also makes a perfect topping for chicken tacos but is great as a side salad as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment