Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Journey To Becoming a Realtor

Nearly 6 weeks ago, I announced that I was leaving both my jobs with child-centered non-profit work to become a Realtor!  It was a huge decision for the husband and I to make, but I think it will be a good one--and to all of you who have supported me, THANK YOU!!!  I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to take back my Resignation Notices and say "Just Kidding!"  But, nothing in this life is free and hard work always pays off.  Or so I hope!

During the past 6 weeks, I have been busy studying--and shopping.

Notice there was no exclamation mark after the "shopping."  But I'll come back to that in a minute.

When my husband and I discussed leaving non-profit, grant-funded work there was the possibility of applying to Graduate School.  After all, we live in a college town AND the University is my Alma Mater.  It would be a very easy step to take but ehhhhh, I would have to study.  Forget about that!

Well, the joke's on me!  Who knew that becoming a Realtor involved so much studying?  In order to take my licensing test, I have to take a test...Yes, a test to take a test.  After two months of non-stop studying, I submitted my first exam yesterday and received an 87% on it.  Not too shabby, eh?  Guess what, though--in order to "pass" it, I had to get a 90%. 

Story.

Of.

My.

Life. 

I missed one question too many to pass the stupid thing. 

Soooooo, back to the books I went and I resubmitted the exam this morning.  And I passed with a 97%!!!  Woo-whoooo!  Now, I have permission to take the BIG licensing exam.  Did I mention that each test costs some serious money???  Just knowing that I will have no income for Gawd-knows-how-long and that money will obviously be tight, the pressure is ON to rock the licensing exam!  And knowing that I had to re-take the first test due to one stupid little question, I'm kinda freaked out about the big kahuna.  If you can't find me for another 3 weeks, you know where I am ;-)

*Heavy sigh*  It's safe to say that I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  But that's what makes for a great adventure, huh?!

And now comes the shopping part...

Usually, I love shopping.  Especially, when the seasons change!  This Spring, it's all about color--hallelujiah!  And as I like to tease my husband, obviously I don't mind having a little color in my life ;-)  Bwhahahaha!!!  Okay, I'll stop with the potentially offensive wise cracks...

Anyhow, shopping for professional clothing sucks!  Overall, the selection tends to be pretty "safe" but just when I find something cute, it's not made in a Tall size.  Grrrrrr!   And I don't mean "long"--because tons of store offer "long" clothing.  I mean TALL--like, 37" inseam pants!  Unfortunately, when I do find something available in Tall, the smaller sizes run out almost immediately so I'm left paying full-price AND shipping (b/c the stores refuse to carry them) for button-downs, jeans, slacks, you name it.  Another big Grrrrr!

All complaints aside, I have managed to find some pretty safe pieces that I can live with.  If anything, I will just have to stock up on super fun shoes, accessories and hair!  Oh, and did I mention that I've dyed my hair back to brunette?!  Long gone are the blonde locks!  That is, until I get my headshots done and then I'm back to my *somewhat* funky tresses :-)

For example, here are my recent finds...
Dark-wash skinny jeans from the GAP...they'll be perfect for weekend outtings and errands!
I love the cigarette pant-feel of these slacks from the GAP...of course, they're a few inches shorter on me, but they're still adorable with flats and pumps!
Oddly enough, I didn't have a white button-down blouse in my closet...but now I do!

And I didn't own a pair of khaki pants, either!  I found a pair that are long enough to wear with flats but I'm still on a mission for a pair that I can wear with a heel!
I also threw a good ol' black pencil skirt into the mix.  Much to my surprise, I found a PURPLE pencil skirt and had to  buy it.  After all, it will be perfect for the life in Wildcat land!

Not the most exciting, but this sweater was available in tall AND it would look cute layered over a button-down on the more casual days...

I found this sweater in Tall and it fits beautifully!  It also looks super sharp with my navy pinstripe dress pants :-)

Hey, this looks slightly familiar!  Seriously--if there's ever a pink option available, I WILL buy it...even if I have it in another color :-)

And that's pretty much it!  It's a start...the passing of my first test AND finding some professional clothes that are actually long enough!  I just can't wait until a few weeks from now when I can celebrate passing the licensing exam and I can officially identify myself as a REALTOR :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment