Thursday, March 22, 2012

House Hunting...in Omaha

I apologize in advance if my blog seems repetitive...because, really--it kinda is!  Lately, it's been all about food and real estate.  Guess what--that's not changing anytime soon!  :-)

I love houses...and if you know me very well, you know that's not a surprise!  In fact, when we were considering a new career path for me, we thought about "what do I love???  And do I love anything that I could make money off of???"  Ummm, houses! 

Ever since I was first introduced to the MLS (Multiple Listing Service) during our house-hunting days, I have been on the crazy thing non-stop.  And not just the MLS for our community...but for outlying communities AND other cities as well...a bit crazy, I know.

This past Fall, I stumbled upon the Omaha MLS.  I was SHOCKED!  I expected their market to be pretty comparable to our market--after all, the metro is home to several universities, an Air Force base, a regional airport and it has tons of things to do.

Much to my surprise, a person can get a lot more house in Omaha than you can in Manhattan...especially, if you're willing to move to the 'burbs! 

If you know much about me, I'm not a 'burbs type of girl...maybe someday...but not right now.  Old houses are my thing and boy, did I find the PERFECT old house in Omaha!

The crazy part--this house was listed for the same amount as a non-descript, former-rental ranch would go for here in Manhattan.  If this tudor were in our community, it would easily go for an additional $50,000...EASY.  Just more proof that we live in a highly inflated market :-/  Not good for buyers, but good for Realtors ;-)  Ha!  Anyhow, check out this beauty!!!

Looks like their grass got a lil' burnt, too, this summer!

I love the striped awning!


Yes, that is a tile inlay in the entry!!!



My jaw dropped when I saw the stone fireplace...and check out finish on the wood door.  Absolutely gorgeous!



I would give anything to have that stove and sink!!!  I love that they're still using those pieces!



Look at those cabinets...and drawers...and tile countertop!!!  Right away, Justin noticed the fridge was in the breakfast nook, but the house was built prior to electric refrigeration.  Oh, the character of old homes :-)



I've always wanted to install this very same tile on our bathroom floor but I'm too cheap to tear out our perfectly functional viny flooringl...



The attic has been converted to its very own Master Suite/guest suite






As soon as I saw this house, I told Justin to start packing his bags...we were headed to Omaha!  But then I later realized--I will see TONS of houses that I like here in our own market and I can't wait to explore them :-)

3 comments:

  1. that is a beautiful house. that is why we don't live in manhattan . when we look for a real "house" we are searching in the st geoge, wamego rock creek area.although they really aren't that much cheaper than manhattan. we have friends who live about an hour away in a small town who bought their house for the same price as our mobile home! crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to live there! In the house....not Omaha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, I feel your pain!!! Our area is just crazy inflated :-( However, I would be more than happy to keep an eye out for potential properties for you guys!

    And Erin, want to be roommates?! I wonder if we could find enough strong men to pick up the house and move it to us??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete