Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Super Easy--and yummy--Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich!

I have to admit it--I love Pinterest!

My pre-Pinterest existence kinda reminds me of what life was like before the advent of the World Wide Web--we lived life and were oblivious to all the potentially excellent resources that existed elsewhere in our world.  Because, frankly, we just didn't know any different.

Not only do we now have the Internet at our fingertips, we can connect with sites we have never heard of thanks to Pinterest!  And it always amazes me how one site's single posting can go viral and half the world is on a Cinnamon Roll Cake/Spray Painted Bottles/Fitness Routine kick...

For me, my favorite part of Pinterest is becoming introduced to new resources...and so far, it has been worth the time that quickly slips away when you're on Pinterest.

Case-in-point, I was reviewing a friend's pin because 1--I wanted to see if the pin actually linked to the information (it drives me nuts when I see something very useful but the link is dead, so I refuse to repin) and 2--it claimed the pin was from a site I had never heard of.  So, of course, I was naturally curious!

And boy, am I glad I clicked on that pin!  I can't even remember what the original pin was for, but in browsing the site, I found a super easy AND yummy recipe for Philly Cheese Steaks.

I love, love, love Philly Cheese Steaks.  As I child, I used to request them for my birthday dinner and I remember my mom tediously slicing up all the steak.  In my adult years, I have really come to appreciate my mother's willingness to do that!

If you're a Philly Cheese Steak person--or you just want a quick meal that everyone will like, you have to try this recipe.  The original creator calls them "sloppy-joe" style Cheese Steaks and I know it's because of the ground beef that she uses...but don't let that deter you!  If anything, you'll save a few extra bucks buying ground beef instead of steak :-)

Photo Courtesy of Chef In Training
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK SLOPPY JOES
Recipe adapted from Chef In Training, original source 'A Taste of Home Cooking'

1 lb. ground beef
1 softball-sized onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 T. A-1 steak sauce (we used a little more for extra kick)
1 C. beef stock
Salt and ground black pepper
4 dinner rolls
1 T. butter
1 T. flour
1 C. milk
1 C. provolone, shredded

In large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef (about 5-6 minutes). Add the onion and green pepper and cook another 3-4 minutes, until the vegetables start to get tender. Stir in the steak sauce and beef stock, season with salt and pepper, bring up to a bubble and cook about 2 minutes.

Split open rolls and remove most of the soft insides, leaving a bed to hold the meat mixture. Toast the rolls and set aside.

While the meat is cooking, melt the butter in a medium-size pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and cook about 1 minute. Whisk in milk, bring up to a bubble and let thicken, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat and stir the cheese.  We skipped this step--I just melted a bit of Velveeta with a splash of milk and not only did it save time, it complimented the meat mixture very well.

To serve, place a scoopful of the meat mixture onto the bottom of the rolls, then top with the cheese sauce and replace the top of the roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment