Sunday, May 13, 2012

Some of My Newest Favorite Things

Every now-and-then, I get a wild hair to share some of my newest favorite things with half the world.  I don't know if anybody cares, but hey, if I like something--you may like it, too!  Nothing beats sharing ideas and finding out about stuff that will make life easier--or less expensive :-)

My first favorite thing isn't very "new"but it always has been--and always will be--one of my most favorite people EVER!  My mom :-)  Friday was her birthday and today is obviously Mother's Day...we celebrated her big days both last weekend AND today.  We like spoiling her :-)
Mom and her new wheels--an Army tank!  Just kidding--it was one of the "toys" we played with this weekend :-)

Now, back to some stuff that some of you might enjoy.  Not that you wouldn't enjoy my mama, but I'm not sharing her with anybody else!  

If you know me very well, you know that I'm a slow-cooker-holic.  The one thing I absolutely HATE about slow cooking???  The clean-up.  Letting the stone liner soak, then scrubbing, and more scrubbing.  It's enough to drive a person nuts!  However, I stumbled across the Reynold's Slow Cooker Liners at the grocery store this past Fall.  They have been a life saver!  Just cover your stone with the bag, put the food in, cover everything with the lid and you're good to go :-)  It's that easy!  The name-brand ones are kinda pricey, but if you go on Amazon, you can find them for a little bit of nothing.
$2.55 for 3 bags at your local grocery store (or $0.85 each)

$10 for 25 bags on Amazon.com (or $0.40 each)

On a similar note, I discovered Reynold's Pan Lining Paper earlier this Spring.  As the image shows, one side is foil (that's the side that faces the pan) and the other side is parchment (you put the food on this side).  I was a bit leery, but I had a pretty generous coupon for one roll so I decided to give it a try.  It was TOTALLY worth the money!  I made a baked chicken that was basically garlic and brown sugar, so as you can imagine, it created a gawd-awful, sticky mess.  I was amazed--I didn't have to spend all night soaking and scrubbing the casserole dish--and it held up extremely well during the baking process.  I'm not the most loyal brand-name shopper, but Reynold's is definitely sucking me into their product line :-)



This next item was definitely a splurge, at first.  For what seems like forever, we have been wanting a pizza stone--but I really didn't want to shell out the money for one and end up breaking it...because if you know myself or J-Money, you know that's bound to happen ;-)  Well, Lodge came to the rescue!  They make a cast-iron pizza stone and based on reviews, it seems to be the best thing since sliced bread (and do I need to mention that it's indestructible?!).  Not only is it perfect for the obvious pizza, but other owners have reported great success in using it for baked bread, polenta sticks, searing meat, pancakes, you name it.  PLUS, you are able to add a little extra iron to your diet this way...The sucker also weighs 11 pounds, so did I mention you would get a nice little arm workout while lifting it, too?!

SHOES!!!!!!!!  I finally found myself a pair of black wedges for work and play.  It took me awhile because I wanted something that was versatile (ie not TOO trendy) and could last me a few years.  The pair I settled on are a little funky with the black extending along the sole--and it looks even better in person!  But, I swear JCPenny was trying to play with my emotions (and wallet).  They accidentally sent me the correct wedge, but in peach.  Okay, so peach may sound hideous, but they were actually super, SUPER cute.  Cute, to the point where I almost didn't return them...especially since I could have worn them with lots of stuff!  Who knows--maybe I'll end up going back for them...but in the meantime, I'm really liking my black pair :-)


Does it make sense when I say I "re-discovered" my favorite lotion???  Or does it sound totally dumb?  Regardless, I did rediscover one of my all-time favorites.  I used to use this Hemp Golden-Glow Skin Firming Lotion all...the...time.  But, I hate Wal-Mart and they were the only store who sold the stuff.  So, eventually, I stopped buying it.  Just the other day, I absolutely had to go to Walmart--I couldn't avoid it.  While I was there, I stocked up on my lotion and I'm in heaven again :-)  It smells delightful, it is incredibly moisturizing without making ya greasy and it gives your skin a little bit of color.  All for $5! 




For all of you Aldi shoppers out there, they're carrying these collapsible totes next week!  And they're only $9...yes, $9 (that's $27 less than other places)!  I'm definitely getting two of them to go in my car trunk--one for auto supplies, the other for work-related gear.  Oh, and at that price, we'll probably get another one for tailgating.  Seriously, I love Aldi's and all the fun stuff they surprise ya with!



My next favorite isn't "new" by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm on a roll with it right now...Yes, eBay!  With the weather warming, I've been buying out-of-season jackets like crazy.  Buying clothes off of eBay can be tricky--especially, if someone's trying to find a quick way to get rid of stuff that has shrunk.  The trick?  Don't pay attention to the size--ask the seller to send you the measurements and then you'll know if it will fit or not!  


I scored this Worthington jacket for $7!  Even though the print is very traditional, I should be able to liven it up some!

This Bisou Bisou jacket was $8!

This new-without-tags GAP denim jacket was $10--and it retails for $79.95!

This denim trench coat is also from GAP and was only $10 as well--a savings of $80!


Finally, I scored this red trench coat (again, from GAP) for $16--it was selling in the store for $99!


This year, we added another flowerbed to our backyard and I was not about to spend another weekend installing brick edging--we did that last year with the front flowerbed and my legs were sore for an entire week!  This time around, Home Depot came through with a quick solution--this brick edging WITH built-in solar lights!  It was actually super easy and all the edging was installed within 20 minutes--yes, 20 minutes!  The "bricks" are actually a heavy-duty plastic and they snap together--the "mortar" pieces allow you to make curved lines and the built-in stakes prevent the edging from moving anywhere.  The convenience factor had me sold, but I also LOVE how the built-in solar lights make our flowerbed look a little more classy ;-)
Image Courtesy of Home Depot

Image Courtesy of Home Depot


Finally, for all of you who find yourselves in Aggieville, you HAVE to try the new Chinese restaurant!    The interior is actually very high-end, they have numerous karaoke rooms (not that we'll ever use them!) AND they deliver!  But more importantly than all of that, we were very happy with the quality of our food.  Also, their prices are great!  We ordered two entrees and two orders of appetizers--and it was only $20!!!  I had enough leftovers from my Sichuan Chicken to get two more meals out of it.  So, if you're ever in the 'Ville, you gotta try the place!


And I think that's a wrap!  Before I sign off, I want to wish all of you mamas out there a very Happy Mother's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment