Friday, May 25, 2012

More Of My Favorite Things!

Well, I'm already back with a post about a few more of my newest favorite things!  I guess when I go months without sharing anything "newsworthy," I tend to make up for lost time ;-)

About 6 months ago, I shared a post about making some of your basic cleaning products at home.  One of the "recipes" I shared was for home-made furniture polish.  All it required was olive oil and vinegar--pretty easy!  For about the past 5 months, we had religiously used the homemade stuff but then I stopped using olive oil in the kitchen (more about that in a minute!) and I decided to pick up some "store-bought stuff" during our next grocery run.

Have any of you used the Swiffer Dust & Shine before?!  I bought it just because it was the cheapest furniture polish at the store but holy cow--it smells awesome!!!  I picked up the can of Lavender Vanilla & Comfort and seriously--I could not stop spraying the stuff.  It smells incredible!  I've never been a fan of dusting but when the polish smells that good, heck, I'll dust all day long :-)







So, about the olive oil...we have made the big switch to grapeseed oil.  I was invited to a party several weeks ago and the company's big item was grapeseed oil...well, I never heard of the stuff and I couldn't make it to the party so I did a little research.  Turns out, it's just as healthy as olive oil BUT it has a higher smoke point than olive oil! Score!!!  I have used it to make homemade bread, in salad dressings and as a cooking oil for sauteing and there is no difference in taste.  Or, price :-) And thankfully, the local grocery stores carry it in their oil section, too.





For the past few months, I have noticed that the skin around my eyes hasn't been looking the best...I was getting a lot of that crepe-i-ness around my eyes and putting on foundation didn't help that or the fine lines I was starting to see, either!  

At the suggestion of a friend, I bought a foundation primer.  I ended up ordering Smashbox's Photo Finish Primer and holy cow--this stuff makes makes your skin incredibly soft and smooth!!!  I now make sure I have a few extra minutes scheduled into my morning routine so I can properly apply it and then just enjoy how great the skin around my eyes feels :-) 




My last favorite thing is called Hope In A Tube (randomly enough, Oprah used to push it's sister product, "Hope In a Jar").  This product was specifically suggested to me by a friend.  I was hesitant because it's not the cheapest stuff and the tube is kinda small!  It's an eye and lip firming cream and when I researched it online, everyone seemed to love it.  So, between that and having someone I know and trust recommend it to me, I decided to give it a try!  I've only been using it for 2 weeks but I have found that it makes a HUGE difference in how my skin appears...when I am in a rush and don't have time to put it on in the mornings, I notice my crepey skin is more obvious and my foundation tends to make my fine lines more apparent.  I'm just hoping that by getting a head start and combatting the changes around my eyes that it will pay off in the long run :-)  Next on my list is finding a good foundation that compliments my firming creme and foundation primer!

No comments:

Post a Comment