Monday, May 3, 2010

Meat??? Or Fake Meat???

I've been getting a kick out of this whole meat-substitute thing. The other night, I made an AWESOME beef stroganoff using meat substitute crumbles and you could not tell the difference...I've always been a fan of ground beef as it's so versatile and quick to cook up --we're talking tacos, Mexican lasagna, spaghetti, manicotti, jumbalaya etc as weeknight favorites.
When I made the stroganoff, Justin found the wrapper before the food was even ready and threw a FIT. He actually went to the store and picked himself up a steak just to be 180 degrees opposite of the stroganoff. If only he knew what he was missing!
Funny part is--he has eaten the crumbles MANY more times than he would even care to realize. I'm telling ya, you cannot tell the difference. Granted, I wouldn't make a hamburger out of the stuff (my texture taste buds aren't that brave yet) but it's a great alternative for ground beef. However, I will admit--there's times I've used ground beef because I was too lazy to walk all the way back to the organic section to get my crumbles. I tried telling him that we've been eating about 50% crumbles and him eating about 50% real meat but now he doesn't trust anything I tell him!
So tell me--by looking at this picture, would you say MEAT or FAKE MEAT? When I look at the picture, it reminds me to add the onions in the very beginning so that they brown up with everything else...ooops!

No comments:

Post a Comment