Friday, August 6, 2010

The Gift That Waited 18 Years

Last weekend, Justin and I were back in Clifton to attend a wedding shower that some of our overly generous family friends hosted in our honor.  We were beyond thrilled by the opportunity to catch up with the other guests and I must say, they picked out some very lovely gifts!

As we were opening presents, my Granddad's wife Pat explained that there was another present waiting for us and they chose not to bring it to the shower.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....maybe it was one of those you-might-want-to-open-this-crazy-gift-in-private type of things or maybe it was easier left for another time.

We returned to my parents house and they had the gift waiting for us. After taking the wrapping off, a postal mail box was revealed. No clues there!




Once we opened the flaps, we found TONS of tissue paper! 


The detective in me concluded that it must contain fragile items...I should get a job with the FBI, huh? ;-)



Drumroll, please.................It was my late Grandmother's wedding crystal :-)  I'm not the best at dates, but I would guess they're almost 60 years old!!


Talk about perfect timing!  We had just been laughing that night about how we HATED leaving Grandma Barb's house after our summer "vacations" with her...we loved going to Mankato because we knew it would involve golfing--or mostly just driving the golf carts around--drinking Shasta pop, watching Casper the Friendly Ghost movies until the Golden Girls came on and just tons of spoiling!  Then Mom had to ruin the fun by coming to pick us up and we would bawl our eyes out for hours until we got home!!!  I just hope our future children don't do that to us after they go visit Grandma Little at the farm!

I feel so very fortunate that these glasses have been passed down to me!  Grandma died from lymphoma 18 years ago at the age of 60 and it's an understatement to say we miss having her at all of life's milestones.  But luckily Granddad Hooley married someone who truly values family and is more than willing to make sure us grandkids have momentos from Grandma Barb.  I don't know if there was a rhyme or reason to it, but of all the things Granddad & Pat could set aside for me, these glasses were absolutely perfect!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment