Friday, April 13, 2012

A Dog's Day Out

I realized it's been a while since I last posted about our dog-child, Mitzi.  Or, is it Mitzy?  I'm not sure HOW it's spelled because I'm always alternating the "i" for the "y" and vice versa.  Regardless of how her name is spelled--or how creative of a mood I'm in--we all know I'm talking about!

Mitz is our canine companion.  She's a little--well, not so little anymore as she just gained 1-lb in the past three months, whoops--Maltese and we absolutely adore her.  I got her just over 4 years ago from some incredibly sweet breeders by the Nebraska border.  Ever since she came home, she's been spoiled rotten...but considering how cute she was as a puppy, how could I not spoil her?!

8 weeks old and weighing in at 2.5 pounds!


Here we are, full-grown dog and all--and it had become time for her to have her first dental cleaning at our local Vet Clinic.  The cheap-a@@ in me REALLY did not want to get her teeth cleaned...but after my sister adopted two dogs who NEVER had their teeth cleaned and ended up with crazy expensive vet bills post-adoption, I decided it wouldn't hurt to spend a little preventative money!

This morning, I dropped Mitz off bright-and-early at 7:15am.  Every time we go to the Vet, she stands by the door and is ready to leave--but today was different.  We met with a new-to-us vet and Mitzi became ecstatic!  She would not stop giving the vet "kisses" and when we would put her on the ground, Mitz would scratch at the vet's leg for more loving.  Guess she was in good hands!

Going into the procedure, I knew they would put Mitzi out--and of all dogs, yeah, you would want to do that with her!  There's just no poking around in her mouth...I thought I was prepared for the cleaning when the vet asked if I wanted to authorize any extractions...and if I wanted to do blood work...and IV catheters...and IV fluids...!!!  Like I knew?!  Was it necessary?!  If so, why wasn't it included in the basic price?!  I have a hard time with people talking to me before 8am, let alone asking me to make decisions--and expensive ones at that!

After some consideration, I decided to authorize the extractions--if that would even be necessary.  But after reviewing the other options and realizing it would be almost another $200, I did what any wife would do.  I blamed my husband.  I said, "OHHHH, I really want to be a good doggy mom, but my husband would KILL me if I spent that kind of money."  For someone who teaches assertiveness training, I'm embarrassed to admit that I took the easy way out but I was so worried about appear the slightest bit neglectful!

I was finally out the door and on my way to work.  Then, the doubt started in...what IF the blood work would have revealed something super important???  What if Mitz's blood pressure drops and they can't save her because I didn't authorize the stupid IV fluids?!  Out of cheapness, I had just signed away my doggie's life!

All morning long, my mind was just racing.  I eventually went to class and figured that no-news meant good news.  Several hours later, I was out of the classroom and went to check my phone--only to find out that the vet had tried calling me.  My stomach dropped and I immediately pulled up my voicemail so that I could process the information before calling them back.

As one would expect, the voicemail was very non-eventful.  They were calling to let me know that our dog had done GREAT and would be ready to go home later in the day...all of that worry was for nothing!

I was so relieved!!!  And feeling justified...guess there was nothing wrong with being cheap!  My dog DID survive...just like all of the other 10-billion dogs who get their teeth cleaned every year!

A few hours later, I picked Mitz up and I'm not sure who was happier to see whom!   As expected, she was completely wiped out and barely had the energy to bounce off all the walls when she saw me.  It wasn't the most typical Mitzi greeting but she quickly made up for it when I picked her up, put her under my arm and she looked up at me with her big black eyes...and just let out the biggest belch!  Big enough, that the aides heard it half-way across the lobby and couldn't help but laugh!  Yup, my dog was definitely back to her normal self ;-)

Now we're home and Mitz wants nothing to do but lay on her ottoman.  I figure that's okay--the sedation has made for a very quiet evening at our house, allowing this doggie momma a chance to unwind and keep on studyin'!
All grown up and exhausted from her dog-day out!  And weighing in at 10.4 pounds.  About that diet...

No comments:

Post a Comment