Monday, April 9, 2012

The Platform Wedge Trend--And Herman Munster...

I'm a shoe person--always have been, always will be.  I like to think that I get it from my late Grandma Barb.  As a little girl, I remember being amazed at how many shoes she had...and how they were so different from one another...and how I wanted to have a shoe collection just like hers when I got older!

Well, the time has come and needless to say, I have become a shoe person!  The picture below is from 2 years ago, when we first moved into our bungalow.  This was my section for work shoes...and I had another section on the other side of my closet devoted to boots.  Sadly enough, I had donated several trash bags full of shoes prior to moving...and now, my shoe "collection" has nearly doubled.  I don't know how it always happens, but it just does!


Oh, wait.  I know how it happens!  The other day, I picked out a pair of wedge sandals to wear to work. I had purchased the cork-soled, black peep-toe pumps 6 years ago at Target and had definitely gotten my money's worth as I wore them quite frequently.  As I slipped them on, I thought to myself, "Hmmmm, wonder if I should wear something else???  These shoes have treated me well but they're due to wear out one of these days."  But, they looked super cute with the skirt I was wearing and they hadn't let me down yet, so I left them on and headed out the door...


As class ended that day, I walked into the hallway and couldn't figure out why my right shoe felt 10x bigger than the other shoe.  I got to my office and realized the stupid strap had broken!!!  Guess that's what I get for ignoring my gut instinct!

After about 10 minutes of searching, I found a stapler and stapled the strap back together--how's that for being frugal?!  I was super excited!  I was able to salvage my shoe long enough to walk to my car but of course, this meant it was time to go shoe-shopping ;-)

When I got home from work, I decided to hop online and see what was out there.  After all, wedge sandals are all the rage this season and I have always loved, loved, loved wedge sandals...and what better time to be in the market than when your favorite shoe is everywhere?!

Well, I quickly noticed a serious problem--99% of the wedges have platform soles.  Yeah, yeah, yeah--platforms are all the rage and I admit, I have a few pairs of platform heels.  But on wedges?!  Ick!!!

For one, how can you walk when there's 3-4 inches of sole under your toes--not to mention the 5-6" of sole under your heel?!  Do the shoes even bend and flex?!  I'm all about sacrificing comfort for the sake of fashion, but really, folks...the platform wedge is an insane concept.  To prove my point, here are two styles that I saw many variations of:




To be completely honest, the snake print wedge is super cute.  But at 5'10", I really don't need a platform that exaggerated!  And here's why...

My major concern with the super-chunky platform wedges is this--wouldn't a person look like Herman Munster if they wore them?!  And at my height, I don't need ridiculously thick platform-soles to help me stand out above the crowd!

With that kind of mental image, I just can't do the platform wedge!  lol...and plus, they're kinda stripper-ish...I may be in a "trade" business, but I don't want people to get the wrong idea about what I do for a living :-)

On that note, I wanted a wedge that I could wear to work--and for play.  And of course, I found a super cute shoe that fit that requirement...but it's not black so it's not a direct replacement for the shoe that finally saw its last day.  Guess that just means I have to keep shoe-shopping and adding to my collection ;-)

My new wedges--I am patiently awaiting their May 5th ship date!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment