Sunday, January 17, 2010

Second Time Around...

Shortly after Justin and I became engaged this summer, we decided to go house hunting. For almost two years now, we've been living in a duplex on the westside of town that we absolutely love...however, we don't exactly love our dysfunctional neighbors on the otherside. To make matters worse, the dysfunctional neighbors happen to be our landlord...great combination, huh? When we moved in, the landlord was an 82-yr-old man but he died 3 weeks later...as he had an only child, his daughter and her mess of a family inherited the properties and moved in next door!
We love our cozy, outdated dwelling but there comes a point in time when you realize you're just throwing away your money by paying rent. Within one week of hunting, we fell in love with a 4-bed, 2-bed house with a remodeled basment and amazing backyard...long story short, we ended up losing the contract within a week or so of closing. I don't know if I've felt such disappointment in a LONG time!
Did I mention the house also had a crazy-steep driveway? Back in September, we were convinced that we could work with the slope...Justin's truck made it up the drive with no problem but my Nissan couldn't even get the front tires in the drive without getting high-centered. However, the incredibly snowy winter has made me realize how glad I am that we didn't get stuck with that driveway!
After losing the contract, we decided just to keep renting for a few more years...that idea only lasted until the first part of December when we decided to give it another try! We'll start looking at houses again this week and I'm beyond excited! In fact, there's a house that I saw online and fell in love just from seeing the pictures. Justin & I went walking around the property on Friday and fell in with it even more! I just hope that we don't find a major problem when we're actually able to tour the inside. Knowing my luck, it'll probably smell like dead animals or have a wall painting of Homer Simpson (and yes, we did see one of those the first time around!), so wish us luck!
And for your viewing pleasure, here's a picture of the house we love!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I remember the house-hunting days and it was always more exciting on TV (the House Hunters show). I would always stress about where we'd put all our stuff or how it'd look, etc.

    ReplyDelete