Sunday, January 24, 2010

"Ummmmmmm, NO"

In the past 3 years of knowing Justin, I've come to realize that he's a very decisive person and has no problem telling you what he thinks of something. With that said, here comes the update on the Yellow House... Friday morning, we enter the Yellow House with our realtor. Kelly and I hang back as we've both already toured the property and I was wanting to watch Justin's reaction. He's walking around the living and dining room just grooving on the woodwork, fireplace etc...Justin walks into the kitchen and then heads for the basement. Keep in mind, the house was built in 1920 and has a stone foundation...Justin gets downstairs and basically goes, "what the hell is this?! this is the basement?! it looks like a place to throw dead bodies!" Hmmmmm, not quite the reaction I was hoping for. And he didn't think Dante's Infernace was nearly as funny as Kelly and I did... We decide to head back upstairs and check out the second story...Justin doesn't even get up the stairway before I hear a very frustrated "ohhhhhhhhhhhh, this house is HAUNTED!" and all I'm thinking is wtf? Is he seeing ghosts or something?! Turns out, the railing caught his leather coat and ripped it. And this makes the house haunted?! Being the trooper he is, he continued upstairs to check out the bathroom with the roof line--as he walked into the bathroom, the "Ummmmmmm, NO" came and I knew we were done. There was no trying to justify the roofline or push the gorgeous woodwork downstairs. This house was off the list! As I'm not one to take no for an answer, I've been stalking the MLS ever since we lost the contract on the first house--even when we decided to rent for a while longer, I still checked out the MLS on a daily basis. There was an awesome downtown bungalow that went on the market around Halloween and immediately went under contract--turns out, the person had buyer's remorse so they cancelled the contract after the inspection. The bungalow went BACK on the market, under contract within a week and the same thing happened. We requested the inspection reports and for being built in 1935, the inspections found very few problems. We decided to tour the bunglaw on Friday and we think it's the one! It's a 2-bed, 1-bath home with about 1000 sq ft of living space, a full basement, fireplace, tall ceilings, modernized kitchen and awesome amount of yard for Mitzy and Malcolm. Unfortunately, we didn't take any pictures of the house and I couldn't find any online as the owners had taken it off the market (hey, it helps to know people!). I realize it's not a huge house, but I don't want to spend all weekend cleaning extra bedrooms and bathrooms that we never use! When looking at mortgage payments for a large home vs this 2-bedroom plus the cost to heat the homes, I think we're headed in the right direction. And if I wanted to sound cool, I could tell people we're trying to reduce our carbon footprint ;-) We are scheduled to have a second viewing of this home on Friday, but we're thinking about trying to do it a few days earlier than planned. Since the house isn't on the market, we know we won't have any competition...but it'd be nice to start moving on the negotiations and maybe be out of our duplex in 6 weeks or so!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the smaller houses. Unless you have a maid, the smaller the houses, the better because as you said, more house= more to clean! I didn't realize that so much until we moved from our small 2 bedroom duplex in Manhattan to our 5 bedroom home here and YIKES! Talk about more cleaning!!! (Not to mention its cleaning up after all BOYS!)

    ReplyDelete