Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Yellow House

I met with our Realtor yesterday and we toured the "Yellow House" that I had fallen in love with online. And I didn't even need eHarmony to facilitate the love! Just kidding...mid-week humor...anyhow, the house was absolutely gorgeous--particularly the lower level. The house is full of charm and your old architectural details, such as the built-in china cabinet in the dining room, the columns, the huge windows (especially the leaded diamond window in the entry way)and fireplace...it reminds me of my grandparents' yellow house on the farm, but just on a smaller scale! The only difference--I'm sure Marcene kept her house much cleaner than this one!!! Sellers in Manhattan kill me; they do absolutely nothing to stage their homes. This house had dirty windows, dusty floors and cobwebs in the corners...nothing a little elbow grease would fix, but a clean house might earn you a few more bucks when you sell it!
I'm torn on the house--I love the visual aesthetics of it and the fact that it's not your typical cookie-cutter house as those do nothing for my creative instinct. However, the roof line cuts into the upstairs bathroom some (it shows it a bit in the picture) and I'm afraid Justin will have to duck--or maybe even crawl (he gets to see it on Friday, so I'll update you on his response!). As this is the first older home we've looked at, I fear the house could become a money pit. It's been completely remodeled with a new kitchen, carpeting, bathrooms, etc and older homes are usually of better construction...but with each year we're in the house, it'll be a year older and what kind of problems could creep up? The house has already been under contract once and it fell through as the person ended up not moving to Manhattan after all. In a way, I'm glad to know we're not the only person in the world interested in the house!
But the BEST PART of the house: a previous tenant had written on the side of the furnace, in Magic Marker, "Dante's Infernace." Hahahahahahahaha...you know every house is going to have its quirks!
We will look at three other houses on Friday just to see what's out there...and maybe it'll help us know if this house is "the one." That's how we knew about the first house we had under contract!

2 comments: