Friday, January 7, 2011

Tastes Like Chicken...Must Be Chicken

If you know Justin very well, you will know he LOVES chicken wings...and his hot sauce.

Ironically enough, Mom called on Monday night to say the Kite's on Highway 24 has an All-You-Can-Eat Chicken Wing buffet with a bunch of sides on Mondays for just $6.99....as we already had something in the crockpot for supper, I figured we'd go another time.  But then I realized I already had a new Chicken Wing recipe on the menu for this week and figured if Justin didn't like the wings, we'd definately hit up the buffet next week to make up for it.

Needless to say, I think Justin liked the new recipe.  He ate 4 pounds of wings.  Yes, 4 pounds.  I only had 5 wings myself before he wiped them out!  You know those people who blog about feeding a family of 4 on $10 a day?  Well, that will never be us!  I bet you he could easily eat $10 worth of home-cooked food at breakfast alone.  Justin definately burns off anything he eats at work the next day, but there's times I think he may want to get his cholosterol checked :-/

If any of you out there are chicken wing fans, you may like this recipe...it's super simple and yummy! It doesn't have an overpowering Asian flavor, either...it's just different from your typical hot wings and would be great for those who aren't into Buffalo sauce.  I had mine with brown rice and it went well together!  Some food for thought--After removing them from the crockpot, I usually put the wings under the broiler to crisp them up a bit...or you could go super unhealthy and fry the wings rather than slow cook them, then top them with the sauce!

5-Spice Chicken Wings
1 C. Plum Sauce
1 t. Chinese Five-Spice (more or less to taste)
2 T. Butter, melted
3 lb. Chicken Wings

Spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.  Stir together plum sauce, 5-spice and butter.  Place frozen wings in crockpot, top with sauce.  Cook on low for 5-6 hours.  If desired, garnish with orange or pineapple slices.

(We had tons of chicken wings, so I just filled our crockpot to the top and went heavy on the 5-Spice...I also added some cayenne pepper for a bit of heat and even though we didn't have quite a full cup of the plum sauce, things balanced out well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment