Thursday, February 10, 2011

Up In Smoke

My brain is fried...I have taught the same two lessons...10 times each...in just four days.  I'm not sure if I even know how to create an original sentence at this point!  All I know to do is hit "repeat" and I'm good to go for the next 50 minutes.

This semester of Life Skills has me spending 95% of my time with 8th Graders...the curriculum for their level does not cover the individual substances as they would already have had that information during the 6th grade instruction.  Instead, we discuss in more detail what drug abuse is, why people use substances and how drug abuse occurs.  If I have to say the word tolerance or dopamine ever again, I may just lose it!

I have always said, I think we're starting Life Skills too late.  Personally, I think we need to start it in the early years of Elementary School and continue with the supplemental lessons as children grow.  I have had some uphill battles getting into classrooms (but I ultimately win considering Life Skills was mandated by the Superintendent!) and I completely realize that teachers' schedules and expectations are already outrageous as they are...However, research and common sense both tell you that when students make good decisions, it reflects in their classroom work/attendance/ability to retain information.  Hello, better assessment scores!!!

One common topic that the students love is marijuana.  Am I surprised?  No!  It is such a socially accepted drug and thanks to the recent legalization debate, they seem to "know" plenty about it!  Maybe the following comments will shed light on why I think we need to start the conversation earlier:

--In front of the class, without hesitation an elementary student recalled making AND consuming marijuana brownies...Did this surprise me?  No.  Am I concerned about this student?  Yes.

--One student asked me:  "What IS marijuana?  Like, I've never even heard the word before."  Were they living under a rock?  I'm not sure.  Is it good to be that naive?  No.  Am I concerned?  Yes.

--Just last week, a student said to me "I know they make cigarettes in a factory--I can't remember where, but they do.  What factories make marijuana?"  Once again, is it good to be so naive?  No.  Does that alarm me?  Yes.

--Yesterday, a student raised his hand and asked "What's the best kind of weed?"  Did I know what he was trying to get at?  Most definately.  My answer?  A very long, drawn out (but not detailed!) explanation about how THC content is determined by the cultivation process which I hoped would bore him to tears.  His hand then went back up and he said, "But you didn't answer my question."  Was he going to stop testing me and/or acquiring information for "personal gain"?  Nope!

--Countless times, I have students tell me that medical marijuana is the best thing ever.  Do they realize that marijuana has over 400 chemicals in it?  No.  Do they realize it contains tar--just like what is used on our roads and causes black lungs?  No.  Do they realize it contains carbon monoxide--a lethal colorless, odorless gas?  No.  Do they know that companies already manufacture pharmaceuticals that contain THC for pain management?  No.

And even crazier--did you know that only a handful of today's 8th Graders know who Cheech & Chong are?!  Whatever happened to the infamous stoners being infamous?!  A few additional students are able to recall the movie "How High" but when you mention the "Harold & Kumar" series, ALL hands go up!  Does this make me feel old?  Yes!

Anyhow, it's amazing to see the spectrum of students and their knowledge bases...Those who are so naive that it puts them at risk...and those who know more than they ever should.  Do I believe that all 800+ of my students will follow the advice of the Life Skills curriculum?  H-E-double hockey sticks no.  BUT I hope that education will give the naive students enough information to make a good decision and for those who are experienced beyond their time, maybe they will think twice about doing something later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment