Thursday, February 3, 2011

Any Given Day

In my post-collegiate years, I have not read books for fun like I hoped I would.  I'm terrible about picking up a book and never getting past the first couple dozen pages.

During our wedding weekend, my grandpa's wife was reading a book, Any Given Day, that my mother had loaned her.  Pat said it was about a little old lady--Jessie Lee Brown Foveaux--who lived in Manhattan, KS most of her life and the author recounted all her memories of our community in her book.  My old roommate, Jill, and I found ourselves talking about various Manhattan "things" throughout the weekend and when we had no idea what the answer could be we'd laugh about asking Pat to look it up in the book for us!

A few weeks later Mom gave the book to me and I thought "Ehhhhhh, we'll see if I ever get around to it" and stuck it away in the bottom of our china hutch.

The past three days--yes, three....not one, or two but THREE days--of school were cancelled due to the "snowpocolypse" and in order to keep any cabin fever at bay, I decided to dig the book out.  By Wednesday evening, I had finished it.

I cannot remember the last time I read a book in just three days!  I found myself getting my chores done as quickly as possible so I could return to the book.  The book is basically a memoire that Jesse wrote for her family at the age of 99 while living in her house at 3rd & Thurston.  It was refreshing to read about her simple childhood in Washington & Missouri...and it was neat to read her recollection of Manhattan as it was when her family moved here.  After a short stint in Lucas, KS she returned to Manhattan and spent the rest of her years here.

Honestly, I thought it would be a lot like reading someone's diary--and can you say BORING?!  But it was nothing like that.  The life lessons she discusses and her ability to trump adversity are priceless.  I found myself unable to sleep last night as different parts of the book kept running through my head--and even today, additional stories and references kept popping into my mind.  It's one of those books that will definately stick with me for some time. 

If you're up for a good read, I would definately suggest Any Given Day by Jessie Lee Brown Foveaux.  If I'm able to read through it in 3 days, I know some of you avid readers could finish it much more quickly! 

And you know what else is great about the book?  The price! It's currently listed on Amazon.com for $2.40 AND it qualifies for free shipping...it'd be well worth your time and money!

No comments:

Post a Comment