Monday, February 28, 2011

Death of a Gym Rat

I cancelled my gym membership today. 

This summer, it was announced that my hospital-based gym was being bought out by a partnership consisting of some guy from Topeka and a local business owner.

I was devastated.  I had been going to Mercy for  almost 3 years and loved everything about it.  And now I was being forced to change?!

The new "owners" essentially bought out the memberships as well, so I was naturally grandfathered into the new gym.  At one point, I received a "please-come-back-for-only-$17-a-month" flier from the gym I went to when first out of college.  I ALMOST took the bait and went back to Pro Fitness but I was worried about losing my gym buddies and my spinning classes.

Fast forward to December and my new gym was finally open.  It was huge.  It was impersonal.  When you walk in, there's dozens of cardio machines staring right at you along with the members working out on them.  Next to the check-in table was a storefront for clothing and yoga mats featuring the gym's logo. I hated everything about the new place.

Since it's opening, I've been 5 times.  The first four times weren't a big deal.  But the last time--there was a 90-lb waif walking around the weight area wearing only a sports bra and volleyball shorts.  That was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

I hated the Rec at K-State.  Tons of meat-heads and half-naked girls who would get made up just to go to the gym...Now, they were taking over Max. 

I'm actually excited about cancelling my membership. 

At the end of March, I will be taking a Bootcamp class three days a week at 5:45am for 8 weeks...back at Pro Fitness, of all places!  Parking will be ten-times easier at 5:45 am rather than 5:45pm and I'll have my work-out done for the day...and considering it's a group that you get to know, there will be no bailing out on class just to hit the snooze button a few more times.  The 8-weeks will also take me right up to the end of the school year and at that point, I'll figure something out...but I know I'll never go back to Max-the-Meat Market again!

No comments:

Post a Comment