Friday, May 27, 2011

Batter Up!

Last night was Justin's first softball game...ever.

A few months ago, Justin came home from work and announced that his company was forming a city-league softball team and he was signing up to play.

I stopped dead in my tracks and asked him, "Have you ever played baseball???"

His response, "Not really.  When we were little, we would find a dirt patch and hit tennis balls with big, long sticks."

My next question: "Do you even know how the game of baseball works?"

Justin: "You hit the ball and run around bases.  Can't be that hard."

Me:  "Are you sure you want to do this?"

Justin:  "Yup.  I can hit a ball, I can run and I can catch things.  I'm pretty sure I can do this, Briaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (when he drags out the "a" I can tell he's slightly annoyed with me)"

Me:  "If you say so.  But do they even make gloves big enough to fit your ginormous hands?"

Justin: "I already called Dick's in Topeka and they carry extra large sizes so I'm going there this weekend to get one."

Fast-forward to that following Saturday and sure enough, we found ourselves at Dick's Sporting Goods in Topeka.  As promised, they had extra large sizes in stock but even the biggest glove barely fit Justin's hand.  Something told me this could be interesting!

It was finally time for Justin's softball game to start last night.  His team was to take the field first--as Justin's running out of the dug-out to his position in outfield (hehe) I noticed he forgot his glove.  I tried to get his attention but it wasn't until the rest of his team yelled at him that he even noticed!  Ohhhhhh, man!
Justin is in the orange.  And yup, he has his back to everyone.  Does this remind you of those old pictures we all have of us digging in the grass or doing kartwheels while playing outfield?

Eventually, it was Justin's turn at bat.  He struck out his first time but then hit a short ball into the infield his second time at bat...It was pretty obvious he didn't even need to run to first base so he gently put his bat down on the plate and walked back to the dug out.  Oh, well!

Justin made sure to wear long pants so his legs "wouldn't get all roughed up" in case he had to do any sliding ;-)

At 14-4, the umpire called the game.  But hey, the guys survived five innings!

We got in the truck to leave and Justin was definately frustrated.  He was bored playing right field and wanted in on the action--maybe like at first base.  The ump had a terrible strike zone.  Their pitcher definately choked and the team needed more practice...yada yada yada.

After some further talking, Justin realized that maybe softball wasn't the sport for him. Heck, Michael Jordan tried crossing over into professional baseball and look at how that turned out!  But most importantly, the guys--and even Justin--did have fun and it was entertaining to watch them!

No comments:

Post a Comment