Monday, May 16, 2011

"Planting Season" is Over!

By the end of the day yesterday, every last bit of our landscaping was in...all 115 new plants!  Now we just have to wait and see what survives and what doesn't survive.  The peonies that came with the house are starting to open and someday the orange daylilies will bloom...those plants have been around long enough that it would take a lot to kill them!

I had every intention of keeping the plant tags somewhere safe so I would know exactly what was planted and where.  Maybe like in an envelope in our office.  Then I decided to "streamline" the process and only put one marker of each plant in the ground.  Well....most of the tags have broken off and I'm already starting to forgot what some of the plants are!

That said, I decided to list the plants here--it's always fun to share ideas and come next year, I can look back at this blog post and recall what the plants are!

Dutchman's Pipe vine...planted them along the northside of the fence facing the alley
Red Switch Grass planted in the new flowerbed facing 5th Street.  Justin talks about "switches" from his childhood down South, but I think that's a different kind of grass.
Oakleaf Hydrangea...planted on the northeast corner of the porch and fence.  Hopefully it grows as big as it says it will!
Annabelle Hydrangea...planted 3 of these in the new flowerbed

And this...I have no idea what it is.  I have 3 in this color and 3 in it's "sister" color of deep burgundy.  It's card is broken and all I remember is that it starts with an E--I think--and it grows about 2' tall.  Any guesses???

My hostas!  I love them!  We put in 6 hostas last year and 5 more this year

A lime-green hosta to help brighten the shaded spots

Dark Beauty Toad Lily--planted 10 of these behind the hostas in the beds by the front porch

English Ivy...planted 23 containers of the groundcover by the hostas and Toad Lilies
Silver Fern of some kind...I was short 4 Toad Lilies and tracked them down at a nursery in Michigan.  The owner included a free fern in the order!  It looked like a ball of roots...we'll see if it grows!  Planted with the toad lilies and hostas
"Berry Smoothie" Heuchera planted by the Oakleaf Hydrangea...might have to incorporate more heuchera next year!


Burgundy Glow Ajuga...planted 40 containers of the groundcover in the flowerbed and along the cement stairs...then 3 gallons were planted back by the garage

Autumn Fire Sedum...3 plants when in the new flowerbed, another 3 went over by the garage

The Autumn Sedum when it's in bloom
Autumn Clematis vine from my cousin, Mary...planted to grow on the garage


Purple Clematis...not sure if it's proper name.  Mom gave me some pieces of her vine and I also planted it to grow in the garage

Climbing Black-Eyed Susan vine in Orange...the plant was given to me by my cousin, Pat.  It's planted to grow along the fence by the garage/seating area
Zebra grass...planted by the garage with the sedum & ajuga

An Adam's Crab Apple...our tree looks nothing like this, but hopefully it will next time it blooms!
Mom shared some of her daylilies with us...we had 2 patches of orange that came with the house, just waiting to see what color the new ones will be!

Double Red Knock-Out Roses...planted 3 bushes south of the porch just for Justin!

Some of the lirope aka "Monkey Grass" that we planted last year is coming back up!

Veronica...planted 5 of these around the bird bath for some color and dimension


2 comments:

  1. Is the unknown plant a shrub? If so, could it be a euonymus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so as it looks different than the other euonymus that I've seen...I remember the card showing disc- shaped yellow blooms. The blooms almost looked oriental. Ring any bells???

    ReplyDelete