Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!  The past 10 days have been a whirlwind of hoopla and honestly, a big ol' fishbowl margarita sounds incredibly yummy right now.  Something tells me that would lead to nothing but a nasty hangover AND guess what, things won't slow down until next week so I really don't have the time to doctor a headache and queasy stomach!  lol.

Aside from thinking about margaritas on Cinco de Mayo, I always associate the festive day with Mexican food as well.  Very orginal, right? ;-)

I love Mexican food.  Love it.  I could eat it most every day and not get tired of it.  Justin, however, is only willing to eat it every so often so I have had to find ways around that.

I make a dish that he doesn't really consider Mexican.  I wouldn't either...but it's good enough that people have asked for the recipe over the years!

I have found that my Mexican Lasagna is a great dish to make when serving numerous people.  It's inexpensive--a lot of times we have most of the ingredients somewhere in the pantry or fridge--and can easily be doubled or tripled by using a 9x13 baking dish.  I'm signing off for now, so hope you have a great Cinco de Mayo!

Mexican Lasagna
1 lb. ground beef
chopped onion
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 can chili beans in sauce, undrained
3/4 C. salsa or can of Rotel, drained
Flour Tortillas
Sour Cream
Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Brown ground beef and however much onion you like.  Drain off grease and add taco seasoning + however much water is called for on envelope.  Add chili beans and salsa/Rotel; simmer over low until thickened.  Place tortilla in bottom of greased round casserole dish.  Top with 1/3 of meat mixture, drop a few spoonfulls of sour cream on the mixtures and sprinkle with cheese--be careful not to stir in the sour cream as it makes the dish super runny.  Top with another tortilla followed by the meat/sour cream/cheese and if you have enough meat left, do a 3rd layer.  Cover casserole dish and bake in a hot oven until bubbly.  Let cool for 5-10 minutes so the casserole can set up some.

No comments:

Post a Comment