Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Happy Birthday, Lil Debbie!

Today is my mom's birthday!

I like to call her Lil' Debbie...after all, she's shorter than I am so to me, it makes sense that I call her by that name.  However, it drives her nuts!

And that's what children are for--driving you nuts, right?!  With all of the antics we pulled over the years, I'm surpised Mom doesn't have more grey hairs than she has...but now that we are all out of the house, she is able to spend her Birthday however she wants to. 

All of us kids, our other halves and Mom & Dad celebrated together on Sunday with cake (wheat-free at that and it was pretty good) and ice cream after a huge buffet meal at Rambler's.  Thankfully, my brother didn't have too many innappropriate things to say at the dinner table thus allowing Mom to enjoy her time with her family  :-)

I tracked down some pictures that to me, are kinda fun!  I hope Mom enjoys them as well!

Sooooo, this is not really Mom's Senior Picture...but it has a STRONG resemblance to the real one!  Who knew that 40 years later, she'd still look the same?!

Mom and her little family...guessing this was 20+ years ago.  Not that our outfits would give away the decade!

This DEFINATELY is not Mom...but at one point in time, Mom had red glasses just like Sally Jessie Raphael.  And every time she'd get mad and start yelling at us, they'd slide down her nose and she'd have to push them back up.  Ohhhhh, we thought it was hil-a-ri-ous!   As you can only imagine, things would just go downhill from there...


On a related note, everytime we got in trouble--meaning serious trouble--Mom would write us a letter on a yellow legal pad.  To this day, everytime I see a yellow legal pad I start cracking up! 

Apparently the letters on the legal pad worked...her children turned into responsible adults!  Well, most of the time...  None of us are living in their basement yet ;-)

Growing up, it seemed as if we spent tons of time in the car with Mom.  Tons.  We were never lucky enough to pick out the music so we almost always listened to The Beatles, The 4 Seasons or the Oldies radio station.  At the time, it drove us crazy...but all these years later, I have to admit that it made for some fun memories.

With that said, I thought it would only be fitting to have The Beatles sing Happy Birthday to Mom!  Hopefully she enjoys the serenade as much as she enjoys her Birthday :-)  Happy Birthday, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment