Friday, October 7, 2011

Craigslist "Deal" of the Day

If you know much about me, you'll know I'm a Craigslist junkie...and I mean JUNKIE!!!  I even have an app on my phone that allows me to enter what I'm looking for and whenever someone posts the item, it sends me an alert.  Awesome!

As of late, I haven't had much time to cruise Craigslist...and that's really the only way you get the good stuff.  The whole "early bird gets the worm" phrase couldn't be any more true when it comes to Craigslisting!

Not long after we moved into our house, I spied an incredible vintage yellow metal glider on a porch just down the street from us.  I may have even made Justin drive by it one time just so I could show him...with the intent of maybe trying to talk him into asking the people if they would sell it.

It didn't work.  He thought it was kinda creepy to go ask someone to sell their porch furniture.  He was probably right! 

Months later, Mom saw the newest Grandin Road catalog laying on our dining room table and she mentioned she really liked the metal gliders as well.  Guess it's true--like mother, like daughter!

Fast forward to yesterday and guess what I saw on Craiglist...this beautiful--but worn--metal glider!


The seller was in Junction City, about 20 miles away, and was asking $75 for it.  It needed repainted (obviously) but they lost interest in the project and wanted to free up some space.

I called right away and I'm not kidding--they had JUST sold it.  More proof that the early bird gets the worm!  If only I had known I was in the market for a metal glider, I would have updated my app ;-)

At $75, whoever went home with the glider is a lucky person.  What would I have done with it???  Paint it, of course, and put it on our back patio!  Or, maybe with the holidays coming up, I would have given it to my mom for Christmas.  Some people aren't too keen on giving "used" items as gifts but hey--it would have beat her Mother's Day gift from about 23 years ago...washcloths and bars of soap FROM her own bathroom.  As a broke 5-year old, it was the best I could do :-)

Anyhow, to wrap things up--my "luck" didn't lead to a deal of a day...but rather the deal that got AWAY!

With a fresh coat of paint, the glider could have looked like this sweet baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment