Monday, October 10, 2011

What We Ate Last Week

At the beginning of last week, I was super excited...it looked like we weren't eating out AT ALL for an entire week--talk about great news for my stomach and waistline!  But then, company and a "night out" happened.  Oh well!  The only warning for this week:  I have lots to say about our food!

Monday:  Barbequed chicken wings* with herb-seasoned roasted potatoes and mixed veggies

Tuesday:  Roasted chicken with mashed potatoes* and green beans

Wednesday:  --Left Over Night--

Thursday:  Bierock casserole*

Friday:  Shredded beef enchiladas with cheese sauce and salsa verde*, dirty rice and Green Giant Healthy Weight veggies (carrots, black beans, sugar snap peas and edamame)

Saturday: Royal Thai with my brother, sister-in-law, sister and brother-in-law

Sunday:  Hibachi Hut before Bill Cosby's performance at K-State!

The Learning Curve(s):
*Barbequed Chicken Wings...I made a simple marinade of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce, Sriracha sauce and apple cider vinegar.  The chicken was super tender with just enough sweetness to crisp the skin and a hint of heat to make them "buffalo-like."

*Mashed potatoes...I made a double-batch of roasted red potatoes the night before using the "herb" seasoning blend sold next to the potatoes at Dillon's.  Come Tuesday, I reheated the leftover potatoes, added your milk and butter, plus some sour cream and mashed away.  They turned out delicious and now Justin realizes I really CAN make mashed potatoes!

*Bierock casserole...oh, how I love this stuff!  I saw a different RECIPE for it the other day and decided to try it.  The addition of caraway seeds made it a little more authentic tasting than the usual cream-of-mushroom based recipe.  Being the end of Oktoberfest, you should try it sometime!

*The enchiladas...Right before school started, I made a bunch of shredded beef taquitos (RECIPE) and froze half the batch.  I pulled them out of the freezer Friday night, put them directly in a baking dish and they baked up nice and soft like an enchilada.  I smothered them with Velveeta queso-cheese and salsa verde once they were done cooking--and they were uh-mazing!  In fact, they were better than the taquitos!

No comments:

Post a Comment