Sunday, October 2, 2011

What We Ate Last Week

Monday:  Balsamic Herb Pork Chops with Green Giant Steamable Potatoes & Sugar Snap Peas

Tuesday:  Sloppy Joes* with Broccoli, cauliflower and carrots smothered in cheese

Wednesday:  Left-Over Night

Thursday:  Spaghetti* with garlic bread and green beans

Friday: Date Night at Tup Tim Thai in Topeka...this is Justin's favorite place to eat in Topeka so whenever we're in town, we have to go there!

Saturday:  Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Corn and Green Chile Rice casserole (check out the recipe HERE)

Sunday:  Snack-Out Night at Hy-Vee...we had just gotten back into town and I had forgotten to plan a meal for tonight so we wandered around the Hy-Vee deli and frozen aisles until we had enough random odds-and-ends to count as a "meal" :-)

The Learning Curve(s):
*Sloppy Joes:  Growing up, I had a huge aversion to Sloppy Joes.  My dislike for them was equal to my aversion to coleslaw...if you missed my rant about my hate-turned-love for coleslaw, feel free to check it out HERE.  It seemed that anytime we went to a farm sale, there were Sloppy Joes served for lunch...ick.  Everyone else would get super excited but I'd rather go hungry than eat one.  That lasted until Mrs. Polson made us cook Sloppy Joes in our junior high Home Ec class.  Trust me, I didn't want to go to class that day but I did...and I fell in love with her recipe!  To this day, it's the only Sloppy Joe recipe I will eat.  Lots of tomato sauce, worchestershire sauce, chili powder and brown sugar makes for a great Joe :-)

*Spaghetti:  This was the first--and probably last--time that I ever tried "rice" pasta.  I don't know if I over-cooked it but it was mushy and the noodles were really thick...we went ahead and ate it and honestly, it tasted fine.  But it looked nasty. I would rather eat regular wheat pasta and have raging stomach and sinus problems for several days than look at such unappetizing noodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment