Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My Great Idea to Eat School Lunch

I may be crazy.

Or just slightly crazy.

I have volunteered to eat lunch every Thursday--for the entire semester--at one of my elementary schools.

Keep in mind, I have not eaten a single school lunch during my 18 months of employment with our school district.  And I had no problem with that!  The smells aren't appetizing, the food looks gross and the styrofoam bowls/plates don't help the "wow" factor any.

Google Images

That being said, I quickly modified my plan.  I decided I would EAT with the kids, but I wasn't eating what they're eating.  It was time to bust out my lunch bag and Thermos!

Last week was my first school lunch of the semester and the menu was a flashback to 20 years ago when I was a kiddo at Morganville Elementary:

*Macaroni and Cheese with Little Smokies (they still only give ya 4!)
*Hashbrowns, McDonald's style
*Dinner roll
*Green beans or coleslaw (the old people kind)
*Chocolate milk

Can you say holy carb overload?!  Some of the kids loved the meal, others hated it.  Had I personally gone through the line, I would have gotten the green beans and maybe, MAYBE the little smokies.  Being the wise adult that I am, I don't know if I would want to consume the "meat"...but I don't know if I'd want to go hungry, either!  I have to give the kids credit for eating this stuff.  Now I just get to wait and see what they decide to serve this week :-/

1 comment:

  1. Hi! This is Janelle (Gilbert) Rieger. Cruised on over from my sister Shelley's blog link. Great posts! Have enjoyed occasionaly dropping by and had to comment on this one. I eat lunch with the CCCHS students EVERY DAY. We get free lunch if we eat with the kids (and we have to commit for a whole year at a time). I'm with you - it looks AND smells the exact same today as it did 20 years ago. Nutritionally, probably not the best, but I have the option of salad bar every day as well, so I do my best to balance the super carb load out with some veggies too.
    Always interesting lunch conversation when you choose a random table of high schoolers and sit down each day. :) But I find it to be far better than sitting through day after day of the teacher's lounge, and if you don't like the food you at least get free entertainment!

    ReplyDelete