Thursday, October 13, 2011

Eating School Lunch--The Past 2 Weeks

As you may remember, I have volunteered to eat lunch with some of my students every Thursday for the remainder of this semester.

So far, I have three meals "under" my belt!

The first week, I posted about the carb-laden meal of mac & cheese; hashbrowns; dinner rolls; chocolate milk and green beans or coleslaw.

Last week, it was spaghetti!  I'm not sure where the sauce had gone, but maybe the red flecks on the noodles was the remnant of some previously existent sauce???  The kids didn't seem too put off by the meal...but they sure got a kick out of how the noodles stuck like glue to their silverware!  To my surprise, though, they were offered the left overs and the kids were RUNNING to the table to get more spaghetti...

Google images...

But then came today's lunch:  Chili Soup.  I love chili soup...but the school's was fairly unappetizing.  The kids were loving it, though!  The portion was itty-bitty but I guess the kids are kind of itty-bitty so it makes sense.  They served it with corn chips, a cinnamon roll, peaches and cut *fresh* vegetables.

Google Images

I have to admit, had this meal been made at home, I would have been in heaven!  Thanks to all the days of eating school lunch as a child, I now expect cinnamon rolls to be served with chili.  Is anyone else that way???  Justin doesn't understand why I'm convinced we HAVE to have cinnamon rolls whenever I cook chili...but then again, his school district never served the two items together in the same meal.  Old habits die hard!

Even though I've only "eaten" school lunch three times now, I've already noticed several things.  The kids only have to take the main dish and one other item.  Wth?!  We never got away with that!  And if they don't want the main dish, they can request pancakes (out of a bag, of course).   Most kids pick the chocolate milk (go figure) but they don't have to drink it.  Again, wth?!  We never got away with that!  Finally, I've also noticed that the same little girl has managed to sit by me each and every time...I don't know how she's managed it considering there's 75 students trying to sit with me.  Someday they'll wake up and realize it's SO NOT COOL to eat lunch with your teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment