Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Engagement Dip (aka Hot Artichoke Dip)

This past weekend, I went to Kansas City for some girl time with my friends Erin and Angie.  We definately had fun catching up on what's new in life, laughing about old times, eating some de-lish food, slurping on margarita popsicles and laying by the pool.

The last night I was there, we decided to eat at The Peanut.  I'd never heard of it before but turns out it's Kansas City's oldest bar and grill. During the good old days of Prohibition, The Peanut was a speakeasy.  No wonder it served tons of bar food!

Erin had told us about their two premier menu items--the Artichoke Dip and Buffalo Wings.  We ordered both items and she was right--they were great!

As I was sitting there eating the dip, I realized I had a recipe very similar to the one we were consuming.  The only difference is my recipe calls for green onions, but a person could easily substitute onion powder to maintain the flavor.  Well, I shouldn't say it's my recipe as it was really a Betty Crocker recipe.  Regardless, I still like to claim it.  It's one of those dips that everyone raves about.  In fact, one time I made it and it was so good that my brother decided to propose to his girlfriend.  Thus came the name of the "Engagement Dip."  Something tells me my brother was going to propose with or without my Artichoke Dip but my narcissitic self likes to think the dip played a major role in his decision!

Engagement Dip (aka Hot Artichoke Dip)  adapted from Betty Crocker
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I prefer Heilmann's brand for this recipe, reduced fat mayo also works well!)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
1 can (14 to 15 oz) artichoke hearts, drained, cut into small pieces (I prefer to use marinated artichoke hearts)
Crackers or cocktail rye bread, if desired

In ungreased 1-quart microwavable casserole, mix together all ingredients except crackers.  Betty Crocker says to cover the casserole tightly and microwave on Medium-High (70%) 4 to 5 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes, until hot.  However, I bake the dip in the oven instead!  Serve with warm crackers or rye bread (my personal favorite is pita chips, just so ya know).

3 comments:

  1. how long do you put it in the oven for and at what temp????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure...maybe 350??? 400??? I usually just crank the oven up and keep an eye on it...kinda like when you make banana bread!

    ReplyDelete