Tuesday, August 23, 2011

"Fall"-ing for Flowers

Who's ready for Fall?!  This girl is! 

I have noticed that about every 30 days or so, I get a super creative urge that just can't be controlled very well.  Last month, I made pillows for our Master bedroom and the front porch swing to satisfy the craving.  This month, I headed to Jo-Ann's in hopes of making something "fall-ish."  I keep hoping that if I prepare for Fall, it will hurry up and get here :-)

Our front porch is finally coming together.  On the north end is the porch swing--the south end, the wicker rocking chairs.  But smack dab in the middle is our door, that is actually thrown a bit off-center, and nothing else...it always made me feel "off-balance" so I decided that I would find a neat wreath to hang on the wall.

I went to the store and I didn't come home with a wreath.  Instead, I found an oversized wall basket that I stuffed with flowers.  I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to arranging flowers so I filled the basket and then Mom stopped by Friday afternoon and loosened up the flowers a bit (what would I do without her?!)...then I went back to Jo-Ann's to buy some "stuff" to hang over the edge and give a more free-flowing form to the basket.

This is what I ended up with:





And now, this is what greets you when you walk up our front porch!


I finally feel like our porch is balanced.  Now I just have to wait and see if the presence of my fall flowers is enough to usher in cooler weather and and maybe even some days of Indian Summer.  However, I'm not sure what I'll do once the ferns are done and come down for the season, leaving the very ends of the porch abandoned...My hope is that I can change out the flowers as the seasons/holidays come and go.  What I'll do to keep the porch balanced once the ferns are down: I'll just have to figure that out during one of my upcoming bursts of creativity!

1 comment:

  1. Your house looks awesome Bria. You and I are so much alike when it comes to the "crazed" notion thing. It hits me at least once a month and it makes a crazy person. It's like I have to craft/paint/sew or something or I won't be balanced. Also, I myself am crazy obsessed with old awesome houses. I could drive around and look at them all day. Or walk by them. Or stalk the house. lol! I hope someday we will find one and it will be ours!!! Until then I will keep dreaming like you. And when that day comes we will know exactly what we are going to do with it!!!

    ReplyDelete