Sunday, August 21, 2011

What We Ate Last Week

Hey, hey, hey (in my best Fat Albert voice)!!!  It's week 3 of our meal plan sharing!

So...what did we eat last week???

Monday: Five Spice Stir-Fry with Sirloin and Snow Peas over steamed rice with marinated cucumbers and egg rolls
 
Tuesday:  Barbequed Chicken* with fumi salad, grilled corn on the cob and Italian-herb potatoes
 
Wednesday:  --Left Over Night--
 
Thursday:  Indian Butter Chicken with jasmine rice and green peas
 
Friday:  Supper with friends at their house...the wife is from Malaysia and prepared grilled steak and chicken, Malaysian style, with a peanut dipping sauce and mango chutney.  Yummy!  Dessert was ice cream with--hold on for this--creamed corn.*
 
Saturday:  Snack-Out Night...the hubby's crew got called out to the storms in Iowa so no cooking for me :-)
 
Sunday: Slow Cooked Shredded Chipotle Beef Burritos* with Queso Fresco, dirty rice and seasoned black beans

 
The Learning Curve(s):

*Earlier this summer I posted about a marinade I stumbled across for chicken.  If you haven't tried the Stubbs brand marinade, you are missing out!  Because of it, we are now BBQ Chicken snobs!  By the way, mixing the leftover chicken with the fumi salad led to a killer "cold salad" for lunch the next day :-)
*Creamed corn over vanilla ice cream???  "You's for real?!" was what I really wanted to ask, in my best ever gangsta voice.  But rather I maintained my white girl identity and decided to try it.  Heck, I like food and seriously doubted it would kill me.  Turns out, it's delicious!  Joyce said that a real delicacy in Malaysia is ice cream with creamed corn IN the mix as it's made...just like you would do with peaches, strawberries, whatever fresh "fruit" you have on hand.  All y'all out in cyberspace will have to let me know if you ever decide to try it sometime.  I won't hold my breath!   ;-) 
*This recipe can be found over on my Pinterest board.  The directions had you rub the meat with a spice mixture, sear the meat in a skillet and then remove the meat and drippings to the slow cooker before adding the remaining ingredients.  Well, I skipped this part out of laziness.  I just added the meat and seasonings straight to my stoneware.  The meat had a really good flavor but I think it would have been out-of-the-ball-park awesome had I followed the directions!

No comments:

Post a Comment