Friday, October 1, 2010

A Hidden Blessing

This evening, I wrapped up a slice of our wedding cake and a slice of Justin's groom's cake so that it could go into the freezer until our 1 year anniversary.

I didn't freeze the entire cutting cake as our cake lady actually makes each couple a replica of their cake for their anniversary.  But I still wanted to have some of the original cake for nostalgia's sake!

After I removed the cake from the board, this is what I found...

I have no idea why the picture is upside down...or how to flip it the correct direction.  So consider this a good time to practice your up-side down reading skills.  We all have some grade school teacher in us!

Karen was such a pleasure to work with and she was very caring.  I was completely shocked to find a handwritten message from her blessing us on our big day!

When it came time to find a cake lady, I became very worried.  I had heard horror stories about a local baker and the other ones I was not impressed with.  Some of their cakes looked like cakes I would have decorated back in my 4-H days.  I did a Google search and found http://www.creativecakesandcookies.org/ out of Wamego and emailed the gal...she responded right away and I set-up our first consultation.

Karen exceeded all of our expectations.  She was very professional, even keeled but her creativity and skill level was beyond anything you could imagine.  Her specialty is fondant and at first I was hesitant--I've never tasted a fondant that I liked. 

Until I tasted her's.  She uses white chocolate and marshmallow creme for the base...it's heavenly :-)  I'm not a cake person at all but it's a different story when it comes to her cake.  She even went so far as to make a Caramel cake for Justin's cake--it's his favorite cake from his childhood.  Karen had never had it before but agreed to try it and it turned out GREAT!

Justin was not expecting a groom's cake at all...1) He didn't even know they existed until someone asked him if he had picked out his cake yet and 2) I consequently told him he wasn't having one b/c the regular cake was going to cost so much.  Wasn't that nice of me?!

Most groom's cakes revolve around a  hobby and frankly, Justin doesn't have time for hobbies because he works non-stop.  His days of KSU Basketball mean the world to him, so I sent Karen some pictures of his framed jersey.  When we got to the reception and saw how his cake turned out, I was beyond impressed!  And Justin was beyond surprised!!!


A "replica" of his Away-Game jersey

Our best close-up...the photographer has an awesome one showing all the details!  The cutting cake has a border of peacock feathers and each cupcake has a feather as well--she formed each feather, colored in the eye and then sprayed them with edible glitter!

Plenty of cupcakes but we were all too full to eat them!


1 comment:

  1. ah, how sweet! Also, you have now surpassed me on official blog followers, congratulations ;)

    ReplyDelete