Friday, October 22, 2010

An Oozy..Goey..Cheesy..Greasy Treat!

Tomorrow night I'm trying my hand at bunco--last time I was supposed to play, I wound up sick...looking back, it was probably my silent GERD so I'll be sure to take my Prilosec (and some Tums for good measure) before I head out the door.  Man, do I sound like an old lady or what?!

I was looking up recipes earlier today as we're all supposed to bring a treat...I found a recipe that seemed intriguing but it required a deep fryer...and I'm not going to stink up someone's house with a hot greasy mess!  Upon further inspection, the recipe was lacking something.  It was for "Mexican Rangoons" and only called for the wonton wrappers and shredded cheese.  Blah!!!

Justin is ALWAYS hungry when he gets home from work...he's like a little kid coming home from school!  I decided to shake up the recipe a bit and the results turned out great!  Like--I could eat all of the mixture and still crave more.  Something tells me I better get back in my gym routine before my pants stop fitting!


Unfortunately, I will not be taking them tomorrow night but I ultimately decided to take some tortilla pinwheels.  I've never made them before!  They're so easy and yummy--and if there ARE leftovers, I know we would devour them on our own :-)

MY Mexican Rangoon
1 Tub Chive & Onion cream cheese, softened (we used the 1/3 less fat kind)
1 small can diced green chiles
4 oz. any Mexican cheese (I found some habernero cheese at Dillons), crumbled
Cilantro, however much you like
Cumin, dash
Salt, dash
Wonton wrappers

Mix the first 6 ingredients together while the oil heats up...dab the edges of each wonton wrapper with water or egg.  I used water and it held really well.  Place 1 teaspoon or so of the mixture in the center of the wrapper and fold the wrapper however you wish.  Tranfer to the oil and fry until the rangoon begins to float!  Drain on paper towels.

I'm still trying to figure out a good dipping sauce for these...maybe some type of refried bean/bean dip???   The habernero cheese made the ragoons quite spicy which was fine for us--but I'm sure some Colby or Pepperjack would also make a cheesy, greasy delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment