Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Giving Thanks

During the month of November, I kept seeing these really neat posts on Facebook where someone would state what they were thankful for each and every day.  I thought it was a neat idea but since I was behind on getting started, I figured I would do it later on.

I originally intended to do it at the start of Advent...but we were travelling during the First Sunday so that didn't happen.  Hanukkah started 5 days ago and I'm not Jewish, so that would be kinda weird.  If I don't start soon, the month will soon be over! 

As is the story of my life, sometimes I just have to play "catch-up" and that's what I'm going to do!  Rather than find a significant date, I'll just start with December 1st and hopefully I will blog a "thanks" every day until Christmas Eve!

December 1:  Good health.  I was in bed this day with a horrible sinus infection.  I couldn't pick my head up without it throbbing out of control, if I would stand up the vertigo would kick in, my left ear hurt deep inside and my jawbone just ached.  I was miserable.  But I also knew that it would go away with enough rest, medication and fluids.  It's easy to pity yourself when you're sick, but it's also important to realize that not all illnesses in this world go away with rest and meds.  And then I realize my sinus infection isn't that bad, after all!

December 2: A roof over our head.  We finally received a new piece of furniture on this day!  I was so excited but frustrated by the process we endured before the table finally arrived.  A sense of relief came over me once the table was placed in the living room and I started to put my holiday knick-knacks on it.  But I was also overcome with thoughts about people and families who have no place to call home...and here I am stressing about a stupid table!  I can't remember the exact numbers but Manhattan has an alarming rate of "homelessness."  In fact, we have a new shelter that is much larger than the previous one because they consistently had a waitlist and were turning people away.  There's a significant population of USD 383 students who have no home and I had an 8th Grader tell me just the other day that's he scared to wind up homeless again--in front of the entire class.  I have had many clients over the years who have been displaced throughout their lives.  I should just be thankful that we have a warm place to call home!

December 3: Food to eat.  I tried a new pork roast recipe and it turned out horrible.  We couldn't even eat it.  I tried salvaging it with the advice of a friend's husband but it wound up in the trash.  It was too late in the evening to make a new meal, but we found stuff in the fridge and freezer to fill us up.  I was frustrated by the situation but obviously we didn't go to bed hungry.  Food is one part of our monthly budget that we don't skimp on...we don't eat Ramen Noodles every day but we don't eat high on the hog either.  We are always satisfied and have extra food on hand.  And then I think about one kiddo in particular who never knows when their next meal will be.  I have no idea what it would be like to go hungry...or to be a parent who can't keep food on the table. 

December 4: Having a job.  I spent a few hours at the office preparing for our upcoming move...I despise moving but it's part of life!  And anymore, having a job is NOT a guaranteed part of life.  The unemployment rate remains steady and here I am with 2 jobs.  I have always had two jobs and this arrangement has allowed me to have a roof over my head, a vehicle to get me places, money to pay my bills and *sometimes* a little left over at the end of the month.  My field does not pay a lucrative salary by any means and we have to budget accordingly.  But I still have not one, but two, jobs during a time when others would be thrilled to find steady employment.

December 5: A church to call home.  I hated going to church as a kid...and there's days I still hate going.  I hate getting out of my pajamas, doing my hair and putting on decent clothes when I could have otherwise had a "day-off."  But once I drag myself to the church, my attitude totally changes.  Justin and I spent quite a while finding a church to call home and we finally found it...The priest is great, the worshippers are great and the Holy Eucharist is great.  But more importantly, our church provides us with a very strong spiritual foundation.  Because of this we are able to recharge our batteries on a weekly basis and also reposition our moral compass so we can continue to do right in His way.

December 6: Justin.  I happen to think the world of him :-)  By the time school was over with yesterday, I started to feel ill and weak again.  I had several appointments to attend to and then I headed home to load up on Nyquill, cough drops and rest on the couch while I did some computer-based stuff for work.  Once everything that had to be done was complete, I called it a night.  I woke up around 11:15pm as Justin was coming to bed--I asked why he was up so late and he had spent the past couple of hours taking care of everything around the house that I didn't get to!  Ahhhhhhhhh :-)

December 7:  My dentist.  In addition to church, I always hated going to the dentist as a kid.  It hurt when they cleaned my teeth!  Nothing was wrong with my gums so I still don't understand the pain factor...but I have a great dentist now.  Today was the last of many fillings...it started with a root canal, subsequent crown and a mouthful of cavities this past Spring but we're finally wrapping things up.  Luckily, I like my dentist so it's okay that I'm at her office all the time!  Dr. Ellen always makes sure I am super comfortable, the staff is more than accomodating of appointment changes and the best part--her procedures never hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment