Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Mid-Century Love Affair

Yesterday afternoon I roadtripped with Mom and my sister-in-law, Nikki, to go help Mom pick out new eyeglasses...I had every intention of just riding along but I stumbled upon a great buy at the end of the day.

As I have  mentioned before, we're trying to do our house in a vintage-modern feel.  Being an older home, I want to acknowledge it's age and character with bringing in older looking pieces...but I don't want it to appear as if two 90-year olds live here and never once updated the house!  However, so many of today's modern furnishings are too matchy-matchy and boring...I may have said it before and I'll say it again, I just can't handle the cookie cutter effect.

With that said, I found a great deal on a chair that I've been eyeing for quite some time..it was the store's floor model and being the end of December, it was on a mega sale.  I was beyond surprised to find out that it's final price was exactly on target with what I wanted to spend!  If you haven't ever checked out World Market you definately should.

Our new chair!  Only ours is in leather b/c I was worried the velvet would attract too much animal hair :-/
I completely understand that some people would go "Uckkkkkkkk!" at the sight of this chair but it makes me a little giddy!  If you have ever watched David Bromstead go wild about something on HGTV's "ColorSplash," then you'll know how I react to certain things :-) 

There are days that I honestly believe that I was meant to live in a different era.  When househunting, I really did not like anything built after the 1960s...I love our modern fashions, but I have always been in love with the clothing of the 1920s...I'm not going to complain one bit about the ammenities of today's automobiles, but I have always been fascinated with older cars.  There is definately a lot of nostalgia hiding deep down inside me!

With furniture in particular, I'm a sucker for Mid-Century Modern--nothing gets my creative juices going more than Danish furnishings or items from the Eames era. Considering our house was built in 1935, I can't go all-out Mid Century with things, though...a little blend of the 1940s, 1960s and 2010 and our house shouldn't look like it got stuck in a time warp! 

Because I have to satisfy my cravings for Mid-Century modern without taking our decor into the wrong decade, I look at all the fabulous pieces online ;-)  Some of you may have a sudden urge to vomit when looking at the pictures below...and that's okay.  I realize that everyone's tastes are different!  But to be frankly honest, these pieces make me want to jump up and down and giggle with excitement!!!

I would die to have a coffee table like this!  The one we have now is a modern spin-off but I just love the combination of glass and wood

Hello, simplicity!  I happen to think the backrests are simply stunning :-)

Gotta love all the clean lines on this credenza

If I walked into a room like this, I would just melt...tons of texture, shapes and color!  Definately reminds me of lay-outs from the Crate & Barrel catalogs

This room fits the Mid-Century bill...without the updated photography, you'd almost think you went back in time!  And I have to admit, we have the exact same shaggy rug in our living room :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment