Wednesday, July 13, 2011

From Burnt Copper to Antique Silver

We are finally getting around to painting the last room in our house.

According to the old paint can in the basement, the kitchen is a lovely "Burnt Copper" orange.


I'm not one to shy away from color, so the orange didn't really bother me.

Justin, on the other hand, couldn't STAND it!

We've been living with it and "decorating" around the color...however, Justin must have done enough griping because now I'M tired of the orange!

The master-plan is to eventually have our kitchen resemble something like this...

OR...

We already have the white cabinetry and the new oak floor has gone in...now we just have to keep saving up for the black counters and green tilework.  Because of the new lead-based paint practices, the surchage for removing the existing ceramic squares actually costs more than putting up new tile.  That said, everything can wait a while.

But to keep us pacified for the time being, I decided it was time to switch up the wall color.  

I wanted something that would bring out the neutrals in our countertop but would be versatile enough to work with a new surface (whenever that is!). 

I first tried Whisker, on the left...then I tried Antique Silver, on the right...

I hated the Whisker--way too neutral and reminded me of all the home staging shows.  And in my opinion, beige is kinda boring in a kitchen!


Thus, I decided to try the Antique Silver in a larger area...


I love, love, love the contrast of the grey against the white woodwork...it's very graphic!  Oh, and the new color actually makes our new floors look 10x richer.  Orange you glad I chose the Antique Silver?!  ;-)



My one concern remains the counter-top....how will it look with the grey when it's all said and done???  Worst case scenario, if Justin hates it, maybe he will be more likely to move forward with replacing the countertop?!?!?!


I'm hoping to get the rest of the kitchen painted this weekend...after all, it's a great reason for staying in from the heat!  And who knows, the graphic impact of the grey may steer us in a completely different direction for redoing the kitchen...

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the Antique Silver color! It is close to the color we have in our living room with the white crown molding and it's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete