Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"Name the Cat" Contest!

I'm taking a quick break from the 30-Day Challenge.  We need your help with something much more important!

Friday morning, there was a grey kitty laying under my car.  I thought it was a bit odd as I had never seen the wild thing.  However, I wasn't too surprised as it was hot and my car provided some much-welcomed shade.

Later that afternoon, the kitty was back.  It ran across the street to our house and has been a fixture on our porch ever since.

It's a super friendly cat.  You can't take a step anywhere without it following you.  We checked around the neighborhood to see if it belonged to anyone, called the animal shelter and touched base with the newspaper.  Nobody was missing a grey and white cat :-(

I have avoided calling the cat by any names in fear that I would develop an attachment.  However, the cat decided to change the rules by living on our porch for the past 5 days so it's time to name it.  

Problem:  We can't come up with anything that fits him!  We tried "Greyson" but the cat was unresponsive to that name and it just doesn't seem to fit.  I thought about "Ori", being short for Oreo, but that name reminds me of someone I would rather not think of!  I'm not really one to conform to a predictable name so anything like "Boots" is out.  Ultimately, I think it would be neat to name him something that plays off his coloring without being too cheesy...or something that goes with Mitzi and Malcolm.

That said, we are opening up our first-ever "Name the Cat" Contest!  Any and all names are welcome!  If you suggest the name we ultimately decide to go with, you will win...drum-roll...NOTHING!  Just warm fuzzies knowing you named a cat :-)

Speaking of Mitzi and Malcolm, the introduction of a new animal has been interesting.  Malcolm will rub noses with the new cat, take a few steps back, lay down and then hiss--but just once--and then stare off into space.  Sunday morning, the new cat attacked a baby bird in the front yard.  As the cat was "playing" with it, Malcolm pounced in from out of nowhere and stole the bird from him!  Can you say someone is having some major territory issues???

Mitzi...she tries her best to ignore the cat.   This comes as a surprise as she usually LOVES cats and harasses them as long as she can. In all reality, though, I think Mitz senses the cat will be sticking around and is having a hard time sharing the attention.  Maybe some pictures will better describe her interactions with the cat!

"Our" new cat, on the porch, like always!  I have a hard time thinking he's "ours" but he seems to want it that way!

The cat can't seem to get enough water...Sunday night he went and laid in the puddles after the rainstorm!

He always has to be in your face.  If you don't immediately pet him, he'll start headbutting you!

He loves sitting on laps.  We sit down, he sits down on us.  Is there such a thing as a "lap cat"???

While he sits on our laps, Mitz pouts under the chairs.

But once the cat leaves the porch, she runs to the railing to watch where he goes.

Just last night she was willing to lay on the porch with him--she still won't get any closer than this!

And if you're neurotically asking yourself, "How long do we have to submit our winning entry so I can rest knowing I named a cat?!," you're in luck.  We'll keep the contest open until a fitting name is found!  ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Kevin
    Ralph Macchio
    Dewey (Malcolm in the middle's brother)
    Marmaduke
    Melky Cabrera
    Mister Mister
    Mr. Spot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, how did I know you would suggest Kevin?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't stop until someone names their cat Kevin!! It's too funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may very well bring you a cat named Kevin on Friday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for H2O since he likes water so much. :) ~Camelia~

    ReplyDelete