Wednesday, July 20, 2011

We Are What We Eat--The DQ Chicken Strip Basket

Last week at Justin's softball game, some gal had a Dairy Queen bag with her...and out she pulled a Chicken Strip basket!

It was like the skies suddenly parted and you could hear a heavenly chorus of angels sing, "AHHHHHHHHH!"  What I wouldn't give to be able to guiltlessly consume some of that fried goodness!

Growing up, many Sunday lunches were enjoyed at Dairy Queen...I almost ALWAYS ordered the 4-piece Chicken Strip basket but during my growth spurts, I would kick it up a knotch and order the 6-piece.

Then one day, I stumbled across the nutrition facts...and was horrified.  HORRIFIED!  (Did I just sound like Oprah by repeating myself and in a much louder voice the second time?!  lol)  Sad to say, but I haven't had another Chicken-Strip basket since my discovery.  I just eat other junk instead :-)  lol

Check it out...

A 4-piece basket:  1360 calories, 63 grams of fat (97% of your Daily Value) and 2910 milligrams of salt (121% DV).

That's disguisting.

It gets better...let's assume you're hungry.

A 6-piece basket:  1640 calories, 74 grams of fat (114%  DV) and 3690 milligrams of salt (154% DV)

With either option, you have maxed out your daily fat AND salt intake...you've also nearly maxed out your daily caloric intake.  And what does that mean???  No more food for you...until tomorrow.  Unfortunately, last time I checked, a chicken-strip basket never stuck with me for very long...let alone the rest of the day :-(

One of my very first blog posts was about some relatively unknown legislation that is part of the new Healthcare Reform law.  By the year 2012, fast food restaurants will be required to post the nutrition facts ON the menu.  Good-bye are the days of tracking down a paper copy somewhere in the restaurant or trying to do online research before you hit the drive-thru! 

If the nutritional content (or lack, thereof!) was posted for a DQ Chicken Strip basket, I highly doubt that people would eagerly order the greasy goodness.

If you're anything like me, sometimes chicken strips with fries and gravy DO hit the spot...but if you make them at home, they don't cause quite the same nutritional damage.

Case in point:
4 Tyson-brand chicken strips + 1 slice Wonder-brand Texas Toast + DQ Regular-sized fries and McCormick's white gravy = 885 cal, 36 g fat and 2370 mg sodium.

Obviously, the amount of calories and fat is considerably less when you prepare the meal at home.  Keep in mind, you're still consuming roughly 50% of your fat allowance in one sitting!  This meal still puts you over your daily allowance for sodium, but much of that is due to consuming processed food--particularly the chicken strips and gravy.

As always, there's nothing wrong with a Chicken Strip basket every now and then...but keep in mind, we are what we eat!

3 comments:

  1. Since this pregnancy has given me gestational diabetes. I have come to find that it is VERY HARD to eat out and have something that is good for you. I am horrified by most of the stuff I used to eat at fast food places and even some stuff that I thought was decent for me! Even if the gestational diabetes goes away, I won't be able to eat out and feel good about myself. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food restrictions will really open your eyes! Something tells me that once the posting of nutritional info goes live, we won't be able to eat out anymore...its only fun when you have no idea how bad the stuff is! Lol. Hope you're finding some satisfying options!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dammit Bria!! LOL! Is there really anything better though?! Oh man, good ole DQ... Ahhh...

    ReplyDelete